Michael Wittmann's gamey tactics

From 'Panzer Aces' page 351

"While the panzer crews slept, Wittmann led a patrol (on foot) into enemy territory and discovered a camoflaged anti tank gun and several tanks." ( ) are mine

After his crews woke up, he briefed them and they all drove down to the site of the AT gun. There they blew that up plus eleven enemy T 34s which appeared on the scene.

Verrrry Innnterressting ... Toad

Of course he scouted ahead during 'Operations Time' so it doesn't count. Right ? !!!

Dismounted tank crews is definitely a topic that has come up here many times, and is still (rightly) a bone of contention. Commonwealth recce troops were also trained to dismount from their carriers/vehicles, IIRC, and conduct patrols on foot, etc.

I think it would be very realistic to allow vehicle crews to voluntarily "abandon" their vehicles - especially for recce purposes - or to move forward and try and find a hull-down position for their tank.

I think the coding challenge, again IIRC, was in letting the crews remount an "abandoned" tank again.

Also, from the same book, forget what page. But it talks about M.Ws tactics in the east with tigers. And it describes as him charging ahead with him and his platoon ahead into the T-34s at time.

To that I have to say: GAMEY TANK RUSH BASTARD!!! He doesn't know how to use real tactics, so he uses gamey red alert tank rushes.

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

Also in teh same book it talks about tank crews fighting... forget exactly where, but it comes before the Wittman chapter.

That's because Michael had short guy syndrome and always took more than his share of strudel in the mess. Hence the fighting with the tank crews, and the yelling, and the hitting....

Rommel22,

"Employing his standard tactic, his plan was to drive quickly into the enemy, take advantage of the resulting confusion and smash him." p.358

Elsewhere it states that after charging into the enemy, he would move his tanks off to the flank, regroup and charge again.

With ratios of between 50 to 180 kills (tanks, assault guns and anti tank guns) to 1 Tiger killed I wonder about Russian player personal (not game) morale in CMBB.

"I'll be the Germans". "No I wanna be the Germans"

"You were the Germans last time". "No, you were!".

Toad

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

From 'Panzer Aces' page 351

"While the panzer crews slept, Wittmann led a patrol (on foot) into enemy territory and discovered a camoflaged anti tank gun and several tanks." ( ) are mine

how do you know for certain he didn't do this recon patrol with a high-speed drive in a jeep...uh..Kübelwagen ? smile.gif