Error in German OB regimental 150mm blast rating?

Guest Mike

This thread contains some typically groggish info, but also possibly a pointer to an error.

If the German regimental 150mm obs (with 2 tubes) represents the sIG battery, then shouldn't the blast rating be the same as for the on board sIG 150's at 248, instead of 299 as for the divisional 150mm (which fires a heavier shell)?

Also ther's soem other super detailed stuff that might warrant BFC comment, but when it comes to %'s I leave them well alone... smile.gif

[ December 18, 2002, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I´m still not convinced that sIG could be called regimental artillery. After all, it still is named for and used as infantry support weapon, towed version as well as self propelled versions.

As I said in the the thread Mike mentioned, they may have been used for indirect fire occasionally, same as tanks were used for this. However, the high maximum elevation of 73° lets me guess that it was rather common and that the designers had planned this use.

An infantry regiment had no real artillery pieces, but a Infanteriegeschützkompanie (3 plt of each 2 lIG 75mm, 1 plt of 2 sIG 150mm), so it´s very likely that in CMBB the regimental 150mm off-map artillery consists of these two sIG. But then the blast rate should be adopted to that of on-map sIG.

[ December 20, 2002, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

Originally posted by Brightblade:

I´m still not convinced that sIG could be called regimental artillery.

<snip>

An infantry regiment had no real artillery pieces, but a Infanteriegeschützkompanie (3 plt of each 2 lIG 75mm, 1 plt of 2 sIG 150mm), so it´s very likely that in CMBB the regimental 150mm off-map artillery consists of these two sIG.

I thought these companies were deployed as part of German infantry regiments - which would make them Regimental artillery......

But then the blast rate should be adopted to that of on-map sIG.

It is true that trajectory makes a difference to blast - I'm not sure it's worth a change from 248 to 299 pts tho, especially when for example:

German:

Onboard 105mm How blast = 114, observer = 114

Onboard 75mm how blast = 45, observer = 45

Onboard 75mm IG blast = 47, battalion level observer 75mm blast = 45

russian 76.2mm onboard blast = 49, observer blast = 49.