Mac install problems

Wanderer

I have an imac, with version 8.5 Mac OS.

I try'd to install CM onto my hard disk but every time I do the same thing happens.

It starts to install but after a few seconds it stops and says this:

"Problems were encountered installing onto the disk "Macintosh HD" Please quit the installer, restart your computer and try again"

I quit the installer, restarted the computer, and tried again but the same thing happens.

Please help me to put this right

1. Make sure that you have enough room on your hard drive for the installation. You need 340 megs of empty space plus some extra for efficient op system use.

2. Hold down the option key and the command key and restart your Mac. Click OK when you see a dialog with the following message, "Are you sure that you want to rebuild the desktop file on the disk ...".

3. If you are running a virus prevention program, turn it off and restart your Mac before doing the CM installation.

4. Run the Apple disk maintenance utility titled "Disk First Aid".

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

• 2 years later...

Gotta bring this thread back from the dead. Since im having the exact same problem and that im a complete noobie when it comes to the Mac. So... here it goes.

Ive tried the rebuild thing and i ran the first aid utility. But i still get the same problem mentioned above. Space isn't an issue since i got 48gigs.

Im thinking its a virus prevention program. Because when it starts installing it tells me(in that weird computer voice) "Warning installing graphics 4 into data folder". Problem is that im having trouble finding any antivirus programs for disabling in order to install CMBO. My question is where would a antivirus program be located? Thanks for any help/tips for a new mac user.

P.S. I have a G4 8oomgz, version 10.2

Originally posted by MacCMPlayer:

Im thinking its a virus prevention program. Because when it starts installing it tells me(in that weird computer voice) "Warning installing graphics 4 into data folder". Problem is that im having trouble finding any antivirus programs for disabling in order to install CMBO. My question is where would a antivirus program be located? Thanks for any help/tips for a new mac user.

P.S. I have a G4 8oomgz, version 10.2

OK first question. Does “I have a G4 8oomgz, version 10.2“ mean that you are running OS X.2? If “yes” then continue reading if “no” jump to the end of the first list of steps (they aren’t relevant).

If yes, the first thing you need to do is restart the machine in OS 9 (not “classic”). To do this:

1. Launch “System Preferences” (icon in the dock that looks like a light switch but with an Apple logo).

2. Select “Startup Disk” (should be on the 4th row down towards the right.

3. From there select the folder with the 9 on the icon (Mac Os 9.x on ...)

4. Click restart.

5. Now the machine should start in OS 9.

You need to be in OS 9 so that the game runs properly.

If the answer to the first question was “no” then start here.

Do you know what anti virus package you own? If Virex or NAV (Norton Anti Virus for Macintosh), there will be a file in the “Extensions” folder with a similar name so:

1. Open Hard Drive Icon.

2. Open System Folder Icon.

3. Open Extensions Folder.

4. Look for a file that matches the names above (usually at the top of the list if you sort by name).

5. Drag the offending file to the desktop - don’t trash.

6. While you are there drag Classic RAVE to the desktop too (its an OS X compatibility file which also affects the game’s performance).

7. Restart the machine.

8. Try installing CMBO now.

Leave the CD in the drive... restart... hold the shift key down through the startup. Don't let up until the machine is completely booted. That turns all extensions off and prevents any startup items from launching. By leaving the CD in, it should still mount the CD

This all assuming you are booting into OS 9

[ August 05, 2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Berlichtingen ]

First id like say thanks so much for helping me with this. Its greatly appreciated.

Yes, i have OS X.2. But i now boot up in OS 9 and ive tried installing but no luck. The antivirus program i got is virex, but i can't find the extension in the extension folder. Ive looked through the folder several times and can't find it or the NAV extension (although im pretty sure i don't have NAV). I'll keep looking. But i found and dragged the classic rave icon to the desktop.

So i hold down the shift button to boot up with all the extensions off. But it doesn't mount my CMBO CD.

P.S. For future reference, how can i reboot back to OS X.2 from OS 9?

The antivirus program i got is virex, but i can't find the extension in the extension folder.

P.S. For future reference, how can i reboot back to OS X.2 from OS 9?

IIRC, Virex is a control Panel, so you should look in that folder instead.

To reboot to OS X, you have to use the control panel 'Startup Disk'. Select your hard drive and after it thinks a bit it will show you 2 system folders... one called 'System' (OS X) and one called 'System Folder' (OS 9). Select the 'System' and reboot

I couldn't find Virex at all there either. Im thinking that i never installed the damn thing.

So i went back to OSX.2 and ran the first aid disc utility this time to verify the CMBO CD-ROM. Guess what, yup you guessed it. Heres what it said "Master Directory Block needs minor repair, The volume Combat Mission needs to be repaired, Verify Completed". So i take out the cd and look at it and sure enough there are circular scratches on it. Well i feel pretty stupid now since i should have checked this before. A friend of mine gave me his copy of CMBO since all he plays is CMBB.

So heres my final question(hopefully). Since apparently i can't use the repair option for CD-ROM's in the first aid utility. What is the best way to repair my CMBO disc?

So heres my final question(hopefully). Since apparently i can't use the repair option for CD-ROM's in the first aid utility. What is the best way to repair my CMBO disc?

Best legal, option is to talk to BFC and arrange an exchange.

For switching operating systems, some of the Macs will also respond to holding down the "option" key during booting. You will then be able to select an operating system to boot into during the startup. It may take a little while until the machine finds all of the potential systems.

Note that this will not be too useful for booting into OS 9 unless you have a separate partition for a pure OS 9 system that doesn't have the "Classic RAVE" extension. Of course, once the machine starts booting into OS 9, you can get access to the Extensions Manager during booting by holding down the space bar. Then you could turn off the Classic RAVE extension while booting.