Gordon Molek, Clubfoot, AndrewTF, Magua, Dknite etc. - request input for Dieppe Mods

Guys, I've toyed with the idea of a Dieppe campaign with appropriate mods for a while now.

I've come up with a neat terrain tile for the chert beach, etc., and I have a lot of historical data compiled.

What I don't have are detailed OOBs for the commando units and German defenders, though these are fairly easy to get, it would be even better to get a hold of this stuff from someone with a deep interest in the subject.

I would also like to obtain permissions to use the Magua Normandy and Clubfoot beach terrain as a basis for my mods; as well as Gordon's Churchill (a must) and Andrew's Canadian uniforms.

I am also looking for some good work on stuff like naval infantry uniforms (German), British commando uniforms, Dieppe buildings...

I have a basic idea of how my "campaign" would work, but would like help roughing out the scenario designs - and especially in playtesting.

Any interest?

Another crash course in how CM uses the Clubfoot terrain tiles might be necessary too - my old emails on the subject are archived on my old computer...thought I wonder if Clubfoot has come up with anything new in his bag of tricks re: the portrayal of amphibious landings?

Anyone interested in helping out can email me at madorosh@shaw.ca

Thanks in advance.

Oh - I have detailed info on the Calgary Tank regiment at Dieppe, including final resting place of all the tanks used, the names of all the commanders (and the tanks, come to that), as well as aerial photos of the main beach. However, topo maps or even photos of Orange Beach, Yellow Beach, Hess Battery, the aerodrome and Div HQ at Arques, as well as the radar site that Nissenthal set out to seize the secrets from (which will be victory condition....) would be of help.

[ February 26, 2002, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Technically no, not a campaign, but I wuold like to have interconnected scenarios - the Commando landings on the flanks will affect how many men you start with at Green and Blue Beaches. Your ability to exit men off the map of Green and Blue Beach will then affect German reaction at White and Red Beaches.

The final piece de resistance will be a two-scenario game - the first one dealing with the landnigs on whte and red beach. The second one will take the results from all the previous scenarios, and the player then has whatever forces he was able to exit from Blue, Green, Red and White beaches for the main assault on the Div HQ at Arques and the airfield and other batteries behind the town itself.

Victory to be determined by certain special missions - the destruction of the German batteries, the attainment of radar secrets from the radar site on the coast, etc.

Not sure yet what would be better - Canadian versus AI or human vs. human, or if non-historical variants might be thrown in (ie what if they had battleship support/parachute landings/landing in darkness (on time), etc.

I'm off to the university tonight to get some regimental histories out (to get the names of the officers correct).

Will have to playtest to see how smart air support can be - the real raid was supported by hurricane strafing runs - pretty paltry, but it kept German heads down at the moment of touchdown on the main beaches.

The only exit from the main beach was covered by a roadblock - which can't be destroyed in the game; but if I use Daisy Chain mines, I am thinking it would simulate the importance of keeping your engineers alive to blast a hole for the tanks.

The main beach will probably be in Mud terrain to simulate the chert beaches' effect on the tracks of the Churchills. The Crocodile will represent the Oke. The second map, with the airfield and Div HQ, will be dry terrain - if any tanks make it that far, they should not be penalized with muddy terrain where there was none (the first map will be all urban, with the exception of the beach area).

I am thinking Clubfoot's climbing rules from the Pointe du Hoc battle will be of some value as well at Blue Beach...more research needed.

[ February 26, 2002, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Anyone have any good Order of Battle info for British Commando units at Dieppe?[/QB]

Okay, here is a little bit of info I found:

No.3 Commando

- sailed in 23 ships

- only managed to get 7 shiploads ashore b/c of German convoy

- outnumbered by German defenders 4 to 1

It's not much but all I have at hand.

heheh, i think that for you to have evenly matched scenarios, you would have to make them semi-historical. Otherwise, history would repeat itself over and over again, and the poor canucks wouldn't make it past the first one.

seriously, though, i am very interested in possibly play-testing for you or offering any feedback that might be helpful.

Feel free to make use of anything I've cobbled together for the Dieppe scenarios.

If you haven't checked it out yet, have a look at the D-Day v2.0 mod at Der Kessel. It's far superior to the earlier beach terrain I did and easier to utilize.

Let me know if you need assistance with playtesting or custom graphics or anything else. Lookin' forward to rewriting history in favor of the Maple Leaf.