Scenario recommendations

Hi!

I was wondering if any CMBO web site has made a list of user recommended scenarios? I think it would be nice if people could list, say top five scenarios (not just the best). There have been similar lists on this forum, but I think it would great if some site had such section permanantly, a bit like those guest books. That would make it easier to find those gem scenarios among all the hundreds out there.

SlowMotion,

The Scenario Depot has just that! It is a site specifically dedicated to peer reviews of Combat Mission's scenarios. You can read the reviews, download (or link to the owner's site) the scenario, play it, then come back and review it according to how it played out for you.

For downloadable scenarios, no one comes close to Spike's Scenario Archive.

Ok, I checked out Scenario Depot. I noticed that most scenarios hadn't been reviewed yet. I checked the scores of some scenarios that I've played and saw that some that I've liked got pretty good scores, so those reviews could be helpful.

In Amazon.com one of the features I like, is that "People who bought this book, also bought ..." Something similar would be great for scenarios as well. If someone wrote a good review about scenario X, which others did that person like? Of course, people don't buy scenarios, but if people could write a list of recommended scenarios, that would do the trick. Typing such list is much faster than writing a whole review, so maybe people would actually type those?

Slowmotion:

As far as i know there is no such list published on the net. Using Adiral Keths review system will give you a good idea of what scenarios are played more than others. Also try out Manx's site. All the scenarios there have a good description and screen shots. Of all the scenarios i have played i can say that each one bring it own character. I have enjoyed all of them, except one where i was looking at 43 advancing tigers and only 2 platoons of infantry and 1 bazooka team!!! hey i think i designed that scenario!!! LOL smile.gif

Just start playing different scenarios.. You will soon find out which author, or fighting force you prefer.

Hope this helps!

Spike...Out!

SlowMotion,

At last count there are 850+ battles and operations (no, not all of them are listed yet...that's on the giant "Things I Still Gotta Do" list). The Scenario Depot is still relatively young (by CM standards) therefore not every scenarios has had a chance to be reviewed.

Also part of the process involves people who have played these wonderful works of art coming back and putting in their 2¢ worth.

I like your suggestion about "scenario recommendations". Expect to see that implmented within a couple/three weeks.

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Admiral Keth ]

I'm glad you liked the idea! That 850+ is exactly the reason why I thought about this. Many scenarios take several hours to complete, so I'd rather use that time for playing those good ones first. If you do implement this somehow, I'm ready to recommend some that I've liked.

BTW: I wonder if that list of scenarios / operations in Excel-format is still being updated? I think that was very useful, especailly for those that don't have net access.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SlowMotion:

BTW: I wonder if that list of scenarios / operations in Excel-format is still being updated? I think that was very useful, especailly for those that don't have net access.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you mean the one done by Harv, I don't think so, he gave up b/c of lack of interest/support by scenario makers. Maybe somebody else took it on.

SlowMotion,

I don't beleive anyone is actively updating Harv's Excel list. It more or less has evolved into Spike's Scenario Archive, as well as my own Scenario Depot. Both sites effectively contain identical information, but each presents it in a different way. Give Spike's site a try, it is very similar in layout to Harv's familiar spreadsheet, thus makes browing a large number of scenario titles very easy.

Just a bump for this and an additional plug for Scenario Depot. This site is very well laid out, loads quickly (for those of us with crappy ISPs in far away lands) and has a really good review function. I want to encourage everyone to go over and review the scenarios thay have played so we all have a chance to find the best of the rapidly growing collection.

Extremely good work, Admiral Keth