AI buttons up tanks

As we all know, tha AI never opens a tank's hatches once they're closed during a battle.

Order a sharpshooter to fire at the enemy vehicles and the game gets much easier when playing against the AI.

The reaction time of buttoned up tanks increase, giving you a higher chance of killing them before they even notice you, other vehicles won't shoot at all while buttoned, so the AI is even more at a disadvantage when battling those gamey humans.

Now my question: are there plans for CMBB to change the way the AI NEVER unbuttons vehicles? Maybe a routine like: no enemy at less than 100m, no incoming fire=> unbutton?

Just my 0.2$

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]</p>

In CMBB the AI will button and unbutton as it sees fit. Due to many vehicles having two man turrets you will also see TC's buttoning up in order to fire. The TacAi is aware that being unbuttoned near enemy infantry is unwise and will take neccesary precautions and when they feel the coast is clear will then unbutton.

Madmatt

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Madmatt ]</p>

Way kewl.

But this would really make my day -

Are you going to have the command delay from platoon leader tanks to early-war radioless AFV increase when buttoned up and decrease when unbuttoned, to reflect the relative ease or lack thereof in using hand signals (as I understand was done) to indicate directions to the platoon?

According to the somewhat reclusive Extreme CMBB FAQ thread, yes.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Will there be new Command and Control Features?

"Command and control is being entirely reworked for the new game. Tanks may now be organized in platoons, and it's important for leaders to keep their platoon tanks in contact. This is a lot easier to do if they're equipped with radios, but the Soviets often lacked radios up through 1943. That means that the Soviets often must open their hatches and communicate with hand signals, which is very dangerous when people are shooting at you! Without platoon communication, command delay penalties become pretty severe. Worse yet for the Soviets is that early T-34 tanks, with two-man turrets and no radio, required the tank commander to drop down into the turret in order to fire the main gun, automatically taking him out of visual contact with the other tanks in his platoon. This creates a serious command problem for the Soviet player in Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. " -Charles<hr></blockquote>

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=022774

That old baby needs a bump anyway.

I have a question regarding two man turrets. If the commander is killed will the tank still be able to fire (at a MUCH slower rate) or is it in effect reduced to a mobile MG platform? Didnt't the T34 have a crew of four, so maybe he who is manning the hull MG could climb up and take over the gun. If so will the hull MG be useless?

Questions questions... and the game isn't even out yet :D

/Kristian

I've noticed that the TacAI will sometimes unbutton my own tanks if it feels that there is no longer a threat. This seems to happen more often if the tank is near friendly forces; if it's out on its own or under heavy fire, it generally won't unbutton automatically, but if it's just sitting there with no particular reason to be buttoned, it'll sometimes unbutton itself. If this is so, why doesn't the TacAI unbutton the AI's tanks, or am I seeing something I shouldn't here?