The Heavy Panzergrenadire Platoon (mounted)

Hey Jake,

Sounds good. I'm really a TCP/IP player as I can't be trusted to get PBEM back at any reasonable rate, so if you're free sometime, lets do it. I'll send you an email.

Jason,

I have to apologize. I find it difficult to try and resist the urge not to try and bait you. I don't really know why I try to bait you, as I don't usually do it to other people. I will continue to disagree with you at times, but only with the best of intentions. I sincerly hope you are having a good day.

Pete

Hi Pillar! I understood that you were refering to RL in your post, however the points you made were valid to CMBO nearly acrossed the board. IMHO tired infantry does not fight as well are fresh infantry in real life and in CM, and infantry that has had to move under fire into position to fight is generally less ready and or reliable when they finally get there. The Halftrack does solve these problems in CM but it as stated earlier is not a ubertank, rather a heavy armored truck. So in light of this it must be used with the following criteria which will become more defined as it is tested (a doctrine of sorts which NewLife and I will hopefully work on and hash out)- 1. it should be sent in a widely looping fashion (roughly 450-650meters from the closest enemy unit, if you can establish that), this minimizes the number of times this unit can and or will be spotted and keeps it out of range of zooks, piats, and accurate on board mortar fire.

2. a medium to heavily covered route should be used to reach the objective, while avoiding roads as much as is possible (to minimize predictablity on larger maps). 3. It must be used after enemy contact is made and his zook units move into range of your regular riflemen, or it must be used at the outset of a Meeting engagement to secure ground and slow the enemy while your slower but overall more powerful rifle company moves into a consolidating position (this makes it easier for the company overall because the company doesn't have to take the objective and move into a enemy fighting from cover, and if this were not true than why does everyone try to get to the flag at the start of the game before their opponent?).

4. this unit should not be used near known flak gun locations or HMG's (the mg's hopefully are already fighting the company in action, the commander would be unwise to leave them to defend against a force that he is not even sure exists).

That is all I have really firmed up for now and I can't test my newer ideas this moment, gotta wait to get my backup CD.

Thanks,

Jake

[ March 07, 2002, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: JAK ]

Speaking of winter and snow, I found that it does some good for CMBO realism and balance. Infantry is more vulnerable and more panic-striken.

And I found that it is much easier to get a useful game out of British rifle infantry versus Axis SMG-heavy types. The SMG troops cannot cross ground like they can in dry open ground, and I found it to be a big win, it felt much more real than plain CMBO.