Artillery question

That's something I have seen in a current battle. I give an artillery order with LOS, the shells come down far away from the sheduled target. Well, **** happens. I give a correction order, and after the delay, the shells fall again to same wrong target zone. I just wonder - is it a bug, or is sheduled that way?

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Scipio, are there any spotting rounds before the FFE?

Michael

Well, I think so, but in the heat of the battle and because they were so far of target I have not seen them - I just heard a single artillery round coming down. Indeed I already had problems to locate the main barrage because it was so far of target.

There are certainly spotting rounds fired - 1 or 2 before each FFE - you can normally see them land and if they happen to hit soemthing then that's good too.

What's a correction order for artilery in CM? You have a line to hte target or you don't.

Has your observer been forced to lose his LOS by fire or otehr distraction?

Originally posted by Mike:

There are certainly spotting rounds fired - 1 or 2 before each FFE - you can normally see them land and if they happen to hit soemthing then that's good too.

What's a correction order for artilery in CM? You have a line to hte target or you don't.

Has your observer been forced to lose his LOS by fire or otehr distraction?

No, the FO did not change his position, and his LOS was not blocked by smoke or dust or whatever.

Scipio, Mike E, Red, & BFC Guys,

Twice recently, I have had "spotted" BB arty barrrages fall 200 meters or so off target. Of course, both times, the arty landed on my guys :eek: . Out of the the whole universe of possibilities, my arty scoured the whole map and sought out with incredible efficiency their poor, unfortunate, fellow foot sloggers brothers.

Fortunately, the arty was 81 mm mortars so the damamge was not too great to my guys. I would have been less happy if the arty had been 105s or above. smile.gif

Indeed, except for smoke, I always use "spotted" arty barrages. To me, one wastes arty when it is fired unspotted in BB or BO.

I too would like BFC give us a reply as to how to correct errant "spotted" BB arty barrages. I don't really care about unspotted barrages (although an answer for this would be OK) since I don't use them :confused:

To make it easier for BFC, here are some of the most probable scenarios.

The turn after one has a spotted BB arty barrage go awry:

(1) One should not move the aiming point; the FO, within the BB system dynamics, will automatically adjust the impact point. The FO sees that the shells are not landing properly and gets the gunners to correct.

(2) One should move the aiming point a small amount; this imparts a less than long pause in the barrage & allows the gunners to adjust the impact point to where it should properly be. Within the BB system, the small impact point adjustment corrects the improper fall. Once again, The FO sees that the shells are not landing properly and gets the gunners to correct.

(3) One should cancel the barrage completely & completely restart the targeting process with the long, long targeting delay; the BB internal system does not allow impact point corrections without a whole new targeting process. The FO sees the shells falling improperly or at least not where they should. The FO says, "holy cow" or some similar more colorful four letter epithet; he assumes that everything is FUBB [xxxxxx xx beyond belief smile.gif ] 'and' FUBAR, that his gunners are imcompetent, and that he will be called upon the carpet for having a barrage whack his own men; the FO figures the only way to get it right is to start from scratch. :eek:

(4) Other; please explain what to do & why.

BFC guys, thanks in advance for your most kind attention. We await with bated and somewhat baited (those fishy smells are quite noxious) breath. :D

Cheers, Richard ;)tongue.gif

Mike E,

Thanks for the compliment. I try. I guess my many hours of enjoyment and study of BB & BO, plus three years of law school have some outward beneficial effects, ... maybe. :D

Guys,

Additional update on bad falling spotted arty. In one of the previously mention games the spotted Ruskie 82 mm FO's barrage went about 150 meters awry (I said 200 meters earlier; I was wrong; I counted this time.) & of course upon a platoon of my guys. Not much damage done even to my bombarded infantry platoon because the barrage was puny 82s, and it was only about 20 seconds of shells. Life is good. smile.gif

During the planning phase for the next turn, the earnstwhile 'crack', yes crack FO moved the aiming point about 30 meters. Of course, the FO can see the aiming point with those good Boschenlomb binoculars bought prior to the war. Hey, a little adjustment might make those 82 gunners turn those cranks and get the barrage to land on target for a change. redface.gif

Well, the next turn arrives, and about 25 seconds later the barrage begins. With that bated breath, the FO watches, hopes, crosses his fingers, knocks on wood, and prays to the big guy upstairs. "Help our brothers from the heart of Old Mother Russia."

Well, after all that hopeful anticipation, the barrage lands ... about 180 meters off target. :eek: Fortunately, the barrage landed not upon that stalwart Russian platoon, but upon what is probably an empty patch of woods behind the German lines. smile.gif

Moral to story, it seems that when a spotted barrage is off target, a slight 30 meter spotted readjustment of the aiming point may not (or will not) cause the barrage land on target. This implies that a negative answer is provided to #2 and probably #1 in my earlier post.

In this battle, the weather is overcast, wet, still, and hot in southern Russia in October 42. (Hot in south Russia in October! Is this Tahiti? Hey, it is hardly even hot in New Orleans in October.)

Also, of interesting coincidence, the first turn of barrage had a 150 meter spotted LOS to the aiming point, and the center of the landing point seemed about 150 meters off target. The second turn of barrage had a 180 meter spotted LOS to the aiming point, and the center of the landing point seemed about 180 meters off target.

What does this mean? The karma of the universe is symetric? Coincidence is rampant? I need glasses?

The answer is that I don't know. :D

BFC, we await your reply. Enlighten us.

Cheers, Richard :D

[ November 28, 2002, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: PiggDogg ]

Originally posted by Neutral Party:

Steve did briefly comment on this issue.

Joe

Note that Steve asked for save game files showing the error 'cos they hadn't seen it at BFC - so if you've got some perhaps you should send them to him.

ciao

Mike

Originally posted by PiggDogg:

Also, of interesting coincidence, the first turn of barrage had a 150 meter spotted LOS to the aiming point, and the center of the landing point seemed about 150 meters off target. The second turn of barrage had a 180 meter spotted LOS to the aiming point, and the center of the landing point seemed about 180 meters off target.

Hmm. Curious. Most likely just coincidence, but people should make a note to watch for that and if it continues to occur, be sure to send a saved turn to BFC with an explanatory note.

Michael

Originally posted by Mike:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Neutral Party:

Steve did briefly comment on this issue.

Joe

Note that Steve asked for save game files showing the error 'cos they hadn't seen it at BFC - so if you've got some perhaps you should send them to him.

ciao

Mike</font>