Up in smoke?

I was playing Hill 312 and used off board arty to provide a smoke screen for my suicidal run up the hill. There were about 44 rounds in total available to me and all were used up to create smoke (ie no HE rounds available). Why does it do this? Surely not all the rounds available are either smoke or HE?

Yep, all the rounds were quickly blown on smoke since I wasn't paying attention. It's hardly realistic though, when you have the choice of changing the type of ammo available to you. I'm not sure why players allowed to do this with off-board arty, when on-board arty states how many shells of AP, HE and smoke etc you have. Perhaps it's an issue to be addressed in some future patch?

look at it this way. you don't "own" offboard arty like you do onboard. you have so many rounds available to fire, then the arty will shift to targets on some other battlefield. you can use those rounds as smoke or he, your choice. but once you've reached your round limit, that's it. not 100% realistic, but like so many have said, arty had to be abstracted to keep it from being too complicated...