Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Redwolf's auto deploy

junk2drive

"It would be great if the AI would be totally modular and could be invoced at any time and any side.

Examples:

You are on the defense and need to sort out a battalion. You click "suggest AI move" and the AI positions your units as it would if it was playing the defense itself.

AI versus AI play, but in hotseat as just described, you have the opportunity to give orders or correct the AI's orders."

As I replied, Moon closed the thread.

I thought this is a good idea. More thought and I wondered. What would the AI do? Can you look at a saved game in the editor? Can I give the AI a reinforcement battalion to see where it gets placed?

If reinforcements are lumped, does the AI group them by platoon?

I think it would be comparably easy (note comparably) to take any programmed opponent (PO, my term for AI) and have it at the ready at any time in the game.

Whenever you are in the order screen you can say "suggest AI move" and see what the PO would do. If you don't like it there should be a button to revert to what it was before. You could also group-select a bunch of units and have the AI plot as if those were the only units on the board.

Repeated clicks on "suggest AI move" would cycle through different moves.

Then, actually playing against the PO would just be a special case in that you don't get an order screen at all and the PO just plots.

As j2d says, it should be in savegames so that you can pick up a game from a certain point and "take over", or have the PO take a second attempt.

AI versus AI play would just be the same casem just for both sides.

The only thing that really gets in the way of this in CM is the orders delay but I don't like that anyway. You could have PO-ordered commands without delays and impose a delay if you give manual orders.

The whole think would be incredibly useful to play against your wife or something.

Assuming that the AI can make a reasonable starting deployment of troops, I think this is a great idea. If you're playing a larger QB, the work of shaking out all your forces and getting them deployed in a resonable set-up can take quite a while.

Since most of the QBs I play are friendly and not highly competitive, I would love the option to just agree that we'll both take the setup the AI gives us, and play from there. That way, we could get to the actual playing faster.

I don't think the AI's setup needs to be perfect for this to be a worthwhile option, just decent. In fact, it might be kind of a fun challenge to deal with a setup a bit different from how you'd usually do it, and try to make a reasonably tactial plan from there.

And since they presumably have to program an AI setup routine for vs. computer games anyway, it shouldn't be that much more time and effort to link this capability into human vs. human games as well.

Sounds like a win-win to me!

Cheers,

YD

yeah sounds good to me too. kind of "Quick Scenarios".

what i also think would be good is to plot a movement order & then the AI would choose the route for you. i can't remember the name of the higher level game that BFC did, the one about Arnheim, but a similar idea to that. you say "best speed" or "quick as possible" & the AI does the rest. it'd take a lot of the drudgery out of playing.

combine that with SOP's & you've got a very powerful dynamic, i'd imagine. very much closer to RL command decisions.