Troops with mixed types..

in other words, can I make troops of with both Firefly and Standard M4A4 types? So far I seem only to have single type troops, or independant vehicles. I've tried having seperate troops of different types and then repositioning them into 1 + 3 formations, but of course all the command links are squiffy.

I think I might need some guidance generally! My first map is at this location, for anyone who wants to have a look. I have only just started placing the units, so any advice more than welcome!

wunwinglow

Nope, doesn't let you. The best you can do is add an independent tank to a formation of the common type. So make a platoon of 3 M4A4s (delete as necessary to get there) and then add one indepedent Firefly.

I often use smaller platoons just to allow more flexible command. For instance, Russians get T-70 platoons of 5 tanks in 1942-3. 2-3 are much more effective in their scouting and flanking roles, so I regularly trade them in 2 for 1 at the scenario design stage, to give the Russian player 2 command tanks and the ability to operate as two formations.

Just don't be too literal about HQ tanks in other words. Work with the command system game effects, not absolute historical organizations.

In addition to that, when concerned about the independent tank not getting an HQ bonus from the rest of the platoon, you could either make it of higher experience (like a veteran Firefly, when the M4 platton is regular) or buy a whole platoon (of fireflies) and delete every tank, but the HQ and use only that one. You could also give it similar HQ bonuses as the HQ of the M4 platoon. Not quite optimal, I guess, but as close as you can get.