CMBB freezing, error msg "unhandled exception"

hello folks

i hope you will be able to help me

i had CMBB running perfectly with my old motherboard ABIT KT7 + Athlon 1Ghz

i changed recently for an MSI KT4 ultra + Athlon XP 2200+

with the same video card ATI radeon 8500 64Mb & OS Win XP (non SP1)

since this change i can't run correctly CMBB

it freezes after a few minutes of play in 3d environnment.

i get this error msg: UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: C0000005

AT ADDRESS: 6DDE4051

i updated my video drivers but get the same troubles

i tried all th version V1.0 V1.1 V1.2 but get also the same troubles...

can anyone help me ? i won't survive if i can't

kick the ass of axis at least once a week...

I doubt any changes in the CMBB patches would make a difference.

The only thing I can suggest (assuming you're using the same software installation that was on your previous motherboard) is that you upgrade your VIA 4-in-1 drivers (v. 4.45). I have no idea if this will really help you, but it may be a start. Your ABIT motherboard is based on the VIA KT133, while your new MSI motherboard is based on the KT400.

Though I don't know if it would affect the problem that you're seeing, but the KT400 may not support more than 1 DIMM very well. 2 DIMMs seem to be the maximum this motherboard will support properly (though that can vary).

The latest BIOS is v. 1.3. Version 1.2 of the BIOS fixed a specific problem with the ATI Radeon 8500, so you should have that BIOS version as a minimum.

Which specific Catalyst driver are you running, 3.1 ? Some people have had problems with the latest driver, so it may not be the best version to install. Which version of DirectX do you have installed ? Windows XP comes with 8.1 built in and the latest Catalysts will probably require DirectX 9.0. So you may run into DirectX errors like you've seen if your DirectX version isn't appropriate for your video driver version.

I have a vague recollection of this problem occuring to lots of folks when the game first came out. I believe the fix is to delete the preferences file in your CMBB folder and restart the game. Then select your video settings again.

Check the CMBB readme or look back in the archives if that doesn't work, but I think it's as simple as that.

Originally posted by eric plays east:

i don't have the demo installed...

help !!!

O'k, is it still asking for your video preferences? This may seem like a dumb question but.....have you tried doing a complete uninstall and starting over? This sounds similar to the problems many had when they received the faulty discs. Wish I had more to offer...

KC

Did you uninstall the previous Catalyst driver before installing the next version ? What version of DirectX do you have loaded ? I believe that the 3.0+ versions of the Catalyst driver require DirectX 9.0 (though I'm not reading this on the ATI website for Radeon 8500 downloads). Are you installing and/or changing the version of your ATI control panels (it's a separate download) ?

When you start CMBB and select a resolution it should save a Preferences file in the CMBB directory called Combat Mission BB Prefs. If that file isn't present, then CMBB isn't initializing properly. I suggest launching CMBB, selecting the appropriate resolution and then exiting the game once you get to the menu screens. This should have CMBB create a Prefs file. If it doesn't (and you absolutely sure you're looking at the correct directory) then something is going wrong with your setup. If a file is created, then the next time you launch CMBB it should use your previously selected resolution (unless your desktop is at a lower resolution than your previously selected CMBB resolution - then CMBB will offer the resolution selection process over again, starting at your current desktop resolution).

Check out the 'SmartGART' tab (which I beleive is in the Display control panel) and run 'test' or 'retest' and see what it may change. I haven't personally looked at the latest Catalyst drivers, so I'm not sure what the options actually are.

The next question is whether this XP installation is an 'upgrade' or is it a 'clean' install (i.e. - it wasn't installed over a previous version of Windows) ? Some upgrades will set CMBB to 'compatibility mode', which usually affects the 'CD copy protection check' (which doesn't seem to be a problem you're suffering from). Usually this will only be an issue if CMBB is installed and then you upgrade to WinXP.

What sound card do you have installed ?

Originally posted by eric plays east:

thank you for your replies

i did not find the preference file in the CMBB folder, does it have a specific name ?

Yes it does. In C:\Program Files\CMBB folder (assuming default install on Windows), the file is called "Combat Mission BB Prefs"

Better yet, click on the "search " function and enter "unhandled exception" for the Tech Support forum. You get about a page of "hits". Consensus there seems to be a DirectX problem. Try updating to or reinstalling DirectX 8.1.

Good luck!

thank you folks for your help,

my win XP install is "clean", a full format after

my change of Motherboard.

i have Direct x 8.1 installed with the catalyst drivers going ok.

i have found the preference file in the CMBB folder,i deleted it and had it recreated by CMBB, it seems ok.

now CMBB crashes completely my computer,

my PC loosing completely its power...

i think the power of my PC (300w) is not powerful

and stable enough,causing CPU errors or power shutdown.

i'll change it for an AMD certified 400w power.

wait and see...

i'll let you know how it went, thank you again.