Any way to reduce connection errors during TCP/IP data transfer?

I’ve noticed that the data transfer in TCP/IP games is painfully prone to crash with connection error, if one of the players is using a connection with saturated / regulated upload channel.

Is there a way to improve the connection stability? It seems that the connection errors are not caused by poor upload speed itself, but rather by the sudden fluctuations in the available bandwidth.

if you're talking about a dial-up connection i'm not sure there's a lot that can be done about the quality of the phone line you and the other side are hooked up to

i mean, you can call the phone company you use for local service and see what can be done

but my experience with phone companies wouldn't indicate that you'll have much luck

What ISP are you using ? Is this a cable modem ? Are these computers Windows, Mac or a combo ?

There's probably not much that you can do to solve this problem. TCP/IP should be able to handle out of order packets and delays between packets. It's possible that your ISP is having severe bandwidth problems that some of these packets are dropped (if that's the case you may have all sorts of problems with other internet apps).

The TCP/IP code that CM uses is based on 'OpenPlay', an Apple cross-platform network gaming API. I'm not sure how well OpenPlay handles TCP/IP errors and its performance of standard TCP/IP data correction/handling. There are probably limitatioins on latency and other issues that OpenPlay can handle.

If the issue is important enough to you, then you may want to email matt@battlefront.com. However I don't know if anything can or will be done about your problem.

Ok, further details.

The person I was attempting to play with was a fellow Finn, Prinz Eugen. From what I understood in our discussion on Messenger, he's using a student campus connection, an ADSL grade service with download rates easily over 100KB/sec, but problematically strained upload channel.

The reason why uploading doesn't work on his side is either that the network's outgoing data channel is heavily burdened by warezing fellow students, or that the upload bandwidth has been regulated, due to the said problem.

Personally I'm using a regulated cable service, with DL/UL rates around 60/20KB per second. The data transfer crashes always occur with friends who are using a saturated cable/ADSL connection.

As I said earlier... these may be limitations with the OpenPlay API and its support of TCP/IP. The crashing is occuring because the data isn't complete (and OpenPlay apparently isn't delivering any more packets) and it is considered corrupted (no 'end of file' marker). This can cause a memory problem in the game and hence a crash.

I don't know how many things can be changed regarding the OpenPlay network support. There may be limitations as to what can be tweaked to accomodate very high latencies.