Newbie PBEM concerns

Greetings to all.

I would first like to thank battlefront.com, the forum and its members for providing such a brilliant space for CM players. Over the past few weeks I have learnt a great deal from the many enlightening articles posted here.

I've yet to face a human opponent; the AI may be very good but I understand that playing against a human is the true test. I hope to start a PBEM in the next few days. However, I do have some concerns regarding etiquette, unspoken rules and generally how one should conduct himself on the battlefield.

I came across a post in which the author expresses his hatred for players who use Italian Airborne SMG squads. Could someone explain to me why? Are there any other units that might provoke such stong feelings from an opponent?

I also understand that to some players historical accuracy is perhaps the most important prerequisite and that they react when they encounter infantry squads with too much armor, or mechanized with not enough vehicles, or any combined force that is not identical to what either side might have fielded (at the start of an op...) during WWII.

And, I read elsewhere that one should not use artillery during the first turn!

If you are not one of the above (or are, but have since reassessed your views!) I would be delighted to have a game with you.

My only request is that it does not exceed 1000pts.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by EVZONE:

I came across a post in which the author expresses his hatred for players who use Italian Airborne SMG squads. Could someone explain to me why?

Most SMG squads have smaller default ammo loadouts, the rational being they burn through their ammo quicker than say a rifle squad. Not so with the Italian airborne SMG squads. When the game was coded they were mistakenly given the equivalent of a rifle squad's worth of ammo. So what you end up with is a unit that packs 340 firepower points inside of 40 meters, with the capability of shooting for 10+ minutes.

Here are some good tips!

"Just drive down that road, until you get blown up" - General George Patton

"Take calculated risks."

- General George S. Patton, Jr

"You're never beaten until you admit it."

- General George S. Patton, Jr

"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."

-Russian military doctrine.

Here is the answer to the one about Historical accuracy: Its true(well most of the time anyways).

"One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine..."

- From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn"

"Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"

"A nuclear war can ruin your whole day"

"Draft beer, not people"

When you run out of ammunition remeber this:

"I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head"

Thanks, guys. I found an opponent!

Asofar as the Italian Airborne SMG squads are concerned, I now understand why they're loathed.

Is this indeed a programmer error or could it be that they just carried loads of ammo on them, more than the average WWII soldier?

They may have a lots of firepower but as it's been pointed out by others before, their vehicles and AFVs are mediocre (German heavy guns and armor later in the war, though). Also, I think you can't get them Crack in quick battles, only up to Veteran.

Regards