CAS use in Scenarios

Good job Boggs, I had a bet that this thread would go off topic in one post. But that doesn't mean I'm sharing the winnings with you.

John, "Cabron66" was a poster who flamed out rather spectacularly in a thread about CAS a month or two ago. It resulted in a few long running jokes, the apocalypso, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!

But now that's over with, and everyone involved feels much better now.

Originally posted by redwolf:

Airplanes in CM are too random, you want to play the game, not watch a movie.

While friendly airplane fire happend plenty in real life, the friendly fire patterns in CM do not match real life patterns very well.

Hi Redwolf smile.gif

I guess it can't be any worse then the arty issues. I thought that it was just that scenarios being made by players just don't want to include any aircraft in them.

Thanks, Becket, for the info about who is Carbon66 smile.gif

Well, the arty model certainly leave to be desired, in particular it has the randomness in the wrong places and is difficult to fix without making the user interface more complex.

But it is still way ahead of the airplane model. Imagine that you 8" spotter is not under player control and drops his load on your troops every now and then.

Originally posted by John Osborne:

...who is Carbon66 smile.gif

It's 'Cabron', not 'Carbon'. 'Cabron' is a Spanish word for a male goat or a cuckold, take your pick. :D Why the guy picked that for a handle is as strange and inexplicable as the rest of his personal manifestation on these boards.

:confused:

As for CAS (your original question), for most of the war, it just wasn't done that often. Tactical airpower was best used as either battlefield or deep interdiction, and other kinds of attacks in the enemy rear areas away from the front lines depicted in CM. For one thing, the front lines usually had lots of automatic weapons capable of making the skies above them not so friendly. The other thing is that until improved communications and target marking techniques came along, anywhere the planes went tended to become a free-fire zone. There is a certain body of opinion, to which I belong, that CM may exaggerate this last factor at present, but still it was a factor. Realistically, we shouldn't be seeing planes above the battlefield very often. I guess the extant scenarios reflect that fact.

Michael