I'm building a medium sized static operation, and I had a question about sandbags. Specifically about their protection/cover aspects.

What type of protection do sandbags offer?

Is placing a gun (i.e. an AA Gun) inside sandbags better in some ways than placing one inside a trench?

Do sandbags offer any significant advantages over trenches or foxholes?

I tried placing Infantry inside sandbags (without foxholes) and they got shot up really bad. Did I do something wrong?

Any help here would be appreciated, thanks.

Originally posted by SLIM:

What type of protection do sandbags offer?

Is placing a gun (i.e. an AA Gun) inside sandbags better in some ways than placing one inside a trench?

Do sandbags offer any significant advantages over trenches or foxholes?

I tried placing Infantry inside sandbags (without foxholes) and they got shot up really bad. Did I do something wrong?

Sandbags offer both cover and concealment for units they shelter.

I'm not sure of the exact cover benefits of sandbags vs trenches, but in my experience sandbags don't offer any more protection, and because they are a terrain element rather than a fortification, they are visible to your enemy from turn one, whereas trenches have to be visually spotted.

The center area of the sandbag terrain square is considered open space. Troops in open ground rarely do well. Move the infantry closer to the walls, or place them on top of the walls. While this seems odd, the game still grants cover to units on the sandbags or walls, though concealment is far greater if they are directly behind the wall.