Start Up Problem

Okay, so I'm having this really weird problem with CMBB. Check it out...

So sometimes, when I start up CMBB using the shortcut on my desktop or going through the start menu I get a screen that looks like the one below. I am not able to click on anything, all I can do is Alt+Q to get out of it. However when I use My Computer and actually go in and click on the .exe file it works just fine.

post-68-1084723122.jpg

Now this doesn't happen every time, just every once and a while. I've fully uninstalled CMBB and re-installed it and the same thing still happened. Any ideas???

Thanks...

Definitely strange. What hardware are you running this on (Windows version, videocard, drivers, DirectX version & any particular video settings) ?

Usually a black screen is the result of the video drivers and antialiasing. Occasionally some other drivers just have problems with CM's 2D screens and their data refresh (producing a black screen instead).

With your problem happening intermittently, the only thing I can guess is that it may be conditional to the software/memory state of your computer. Perhaps you've run something else before when you have this problem ? Do your shortcuts list the appropriate directory to "Start In" (though there are few other files for CM, unlike many Windows programs) ?

If I understood you, the blac screen only appears when you use your desktop shortcut and the choice as it appears in your start menu. Right click on both your shortcut and the choice on the Start Menu and Select the properties for each of these two shortcuts. Check the path where the shortcut is looking for the executable file (you may have to search for it on one of the the 3 or 4 tabs that are available). Compare that to the path you get using "My Computer" for which you are basically starting the executable w/o a shortcut. Do they match? If not then edit them to match the path that is uded by "My Computer" and try that to see if it now works.

Okay, here's the thing. It works sometimes. It's working right now. I just got done taking care of my PBEMs using the shortcut. But there's not guarantee that the next time I click on it that I won't get the black screen, that's the weird thing.