Part of my CMx2 vision...

Here’s my vision of playing the newest CMx2 game....

After starting the game, I click into the “Scenarios” page. It’s a scrollable page, listing all the scenarios. I can choose HOW to list all the scenarios; alphabetically, date of action, forces involved, weather conditions, whether I’ve played them, which side I played, won or lost, etc. (Different colored typefaces, shadows, highlights, and check-boxes would convey all this information.) As my cursor rests over a scenario, a floating box appears with a thumb-nail sketch of the scenario, preserving all fog-of-war characteristics. (We don’t want to spoil any surprises, do we?)

Finally, I choose my scenario, side, and other options. I start.

The scenario opens with a briefing including a quick situational update and a task. I select the map. It shows a 1km grid with forces located on it. Obviously, it will use the German ’44 standard unit symbology. (If you’re a grog, you’ll agree. If you’re merely a grog wannabe or a toe-dipper, understanding and using these force symbols will make you feel superior to your civilian counterparts. It’s a no-brainer.) Anyway, the situation map will correspond to the game map. Complete with a seamless zoom function. If I select a unit on the situation map, I’ll get a dropdown ghost box annotating what it is. (Hmm, a German trapezoid, no flag, with a “IVF2” in the corner and a number “14” represents a panzer company made up of 14 PzIVF2’s. If it’s been mauled, it has less. The ghost box will show it, in standard OOB tree graphic, with ancillary forces.)

The map will show me my task, graphically. Arrows and boxes and phase lines and such. This puts my battle into perspective. In fact, this is how the campaign game will work. Those other units on the map will battle each other without my input. Those results will affect my battle task, just as my battle results will affect the outcome of the fights on my flanks. Now, in the bigger picture, I could have various other players fighting on the flanks and send in their results. That would integrate on the battle map and the unit symbology would reflect end-of-game strengths.

If you want to start a battle on a different part of the map, you can select that part, draw a box around the zone and the game will use the terrain and forces to create the new scenario. Any planned reinforcements, as annotated on the map, would arrive depending on enemy action, friction, etc. That game can be run AI vs. AI, or sent to other players.

On to the battle. It would be similar, but better, than the current engine. Thank you BF.C.

Obviously, I would have my OOB available as a drop-down menu. Also, the end-of-battle screen would allow me to see who killed who. For example, selecting my knocked out JS-II would show where the killing shot came from and who delivered it.

Obviously, all this would work for any period; Persians vs. Selucids, Union vs. Confederates, Germans vs. Russians, Space Lobsters vs. Starship Marines.

Regards,

Ken