Okay Calgarians - write to the Sun and demand their attention!

Just read The Zone in today's Sun. I was prompted to send the following email; get out and show your support for battlefront by sending them your thoughts too!

From madorosh@shaw.ca

Sent

Tuesday, December 9, 2003 11:13 am

To

theresa.tayler@calgarysun.com

Cc

steve.tilley@calgarysun.com

Subject

Addition to The Zone Dec 9 2003

Hi there; a quick note to Steve Tilley re: his comments on new computer games for the Christmas season. I noticed Call of Duty was mentioned, and I agree with his assessment of the game.

However, far more relevant - but not mentioned - was the release of a title involving Canadians at war. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps was released just last week. It is only available online at www.battlefront.com - but the game (which is an innovative WEGO strategy game at the tactical level, where the player controls squads of men and individual tanks and weapons) covers all the fighting in North Africa, Crete, Sicily and Italy. The entire Canadian order of battle for Sicily and Italy are present in the game, which is supported by a large community of mod artists and scenario designers. The game is completely open ended as far as map design and scenario creation, and a large online community exists at the battlefront forums.

The game is also very reasonably priced at only 35 dollars US - this is less than Call of Duty, and offers far more replay value, as well as having Canadian units, artwork, voice files, etc.

The amount of detail in this game is amazing, as is the level of research that went into it, and the value can't be beat for anyone interested in

WW II strategy games.

I hope Steve will mention this in an upcoming column, as the game is only sold online and may well pass many gamers by. Previous titles in

the series (Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, which focussed on Normandy and also featured Canadians, and Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin) have received many awards and much critical acclaim.

I hope this is of use to you.

Yeah, yeah, CMBO was more than Normandy but I was keeping it simple...

Just read The Zone in today's Sun. I was prompted to send the following email; get out and show your support for battlefront by sending them your thoughts too!

From madorosh@shaw.ca

Sent

Tuesday, December 9, 2003 11:13 am

To

theresa.tayler@calgarysun.com

Cc

steve.tilley@calgarysun.com

Subject

Addition to The Zone Dec 9 2003

Hi there; a quick note to Steve Tilley re: his comments on new computer games for the Christmas season. I noticed Call of Duty was mentioned, and I agree with his assessment of the game.

However, far more relevant - but not mentioned - was the release of a title involving Canadians at war. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps was released just last week. It is only available online at www.battlefront.com - but the game (which is an innovative WEGO strategy game at the tactical level, where the player controls squads of men and individual tanks and weapons) covers all the fighting in North Africa, Crete, Sicily and Italy. The entire Canadian order of battle for Sicily and Italy are present in the game, which is supported by a large community of mod artists and scenario designers. The game is completely open ended as far as map design and scenario creation, and a large online community exists at the battlefront forums.

The game is also very reasonably priced at only 35 dollars US - this is less than Call of Duty, and offers far more replay value, as well as having Canadian units, artwork, voice files, etc.

The amount of detail in this game is amazing, as is the level of research that went into it, and the value can't be beat for anyone interested in

WW II strategy games.

I hope Steve will mention this in an upcoming column, as the game is only sold online and may well pass many gamers by. Previous titles in

the series (Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, which focussed on Normandy and also featured Canadians, and Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin) have received many awards and much critical acclaim.

I hope this is of use to you.

Yeah, yeah, CMBO was more than Normandy but I was keeping it simple...

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

I'll consider it, lol! You actually read The Zone? WOW! smile.gif

It's much better than that Club scene waste of time - two pages of 20-somethings in their sluttiest clothes posing for really bad pictures in noisy watering holes. I wrote to the editor about that and asked "why?!" What exactly was it supposed to promote?

As for the zone - I went to school with the older sister of one of the writers. That's pretty much the only reason I started looking at that section. It's pretty lame, too - incisive reporting on what it's like to bungee jump? YAWN. Let them join the Army and serve a tour in Afghanistan if they want some excitement...

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

It's much better than that Club scene waste of time - two pages of 20-somethings in their sluttiest clothes posing for really bad pictures in noisy watering holes. I wrote to the editor about that and asked "why?!" What exactly was it supposed to promote?

As for the zone - I went to school with the older sister of one of the writers. That's pretty much the only reason I started looking at that section. It's pretty lame, too - incisive reporting on what it's like to bungee jump? YAWN. Let them join the Army and serve a tour in Afghanistan if they want some excitement...

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

It's much better than that Club scene waste of time - two pages of 20-somethings in their sluttiest clothes posing for really bad pictures in noisy watering holes. I wrote to the editor about that and asked "why?!" What exactly was it supposed to promote?</font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

It's much better than that Club scene waste of time - two pages of 20-somethings in their sluttiest clothes posing for really bad pictures in noisy watering holes. I wrote to the editor about that and asked "why?!" What exactly was it supposed to promote?</font>

Originally posted by Richard Morgan:

Michael,

Our British Sun newspaper has a much more erm... interesting page 3 than any of the Canadian Suns.

Would you be interested in a British Sun Page 3 Calendar?

Season's greetings,

Richard.

I'm familiar with the contents of page 3 of the British Sun - if you want to send on a calendar, my email address is in my profile. I would suggest sending my copy to James Crowley, though, he seems a little grumpy these days. :D You'll save on postage that way, too...

Originally posted by Richard Morgan:

Michael,

Our British Sun newspaper has a much more erm... interesting page 3 than any of the Canadian Suns.

Would you be interested in a British Sun Page 3 Calendar?

Season's greetings,

Richard.

I'm familiar with the contents of page 3 of the British Sun - if you want to send on a calendar, my email address is in my profile. I would suggest sending my copy to James Crowley, though, he seems a little grumpy these days. :D You'll save on postage that way, too...