Armour in Neptune

Thread on Axishistory Forum

In the thread, one of the moderators has kindly made available an all but lost publication from the US Army armoured school in Fort Knox, dated 1949, about the role of armour in the initial stages of Neptune, apparently based on interviews with participants. Haven't read it all myself, but it looks very promising.

Just thought I'd air this link here as well.

Have a gander at this snippet about tank-infantry co-operation on D+1:

"The infantry in two columns moved on the shoulders, in the ditches, or just within the bordering hedgerows. They picked their path to afford maximum shelter and. best footing, but always with a view to mutual support for the tank-infantry combination. They normally remained within the bordering hedgerows. The scheme of maneuver adopted provided for the tanks to cover these bordering hedgerows with fire. All points capable of concealing the enemy were sprayed with machine gun fire. Any particularly dense spots and all roadside buildings were blasted with the tank cannon as well as machine gun bursts. At least two tanks were normally ahead of the infantry to permit this firing."

Now I don't feel so "gamey" whenever I blast the beejeesus out of anything that looks even slightly sinister.

Great Find!!

if you have not checked out this link

and you are at all interested in historical info and

documentation (including maps!) about the D-Day

invasion you should check out that link smile.gif !

What a Huge reference

VERY interesting

thanks

-tom w

Originally posted by Andreas:

In the thread, one of the moderators has kindly made available an all but lost publication from the US Army armoured school in Fort Knox, dated 1949, about the role of armour in the initial stages of Neptune, apparently based on interviews with participants. Haven't read it all myself, but it looks very promising.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Pretty awesome stuff. Thanks for link. That is an excellent refernce.

Panther Commander