Cannot find cd rom

Hello,

I bought the french cdv version of CM. When I launch the game, I get almost every time the first picture with game title, then a few seconds later "Cannot find CD Rom. Please eject and reinstall cdrom, select ok and restart installation".

Of course I have the cd rom in. I have been through the posts in this forum, and I haven't seen any solution.

The game started properly only a couple of time and then was ok for game session, but pb reappeared next time.

I tried to skip the video intro (which doesn't start anyway) by shift or space: same story.

Setup is: pentium II 350, windows 98, radeon ve.

Thanks a lot.

Jice

Has CM been patched ? The CDV version should NOT be patched with any files from the website, since it is already 1.12. You may have not done this, but just in case you did.

Check to see if you can read the CD with the file manager. If you can, close it up and then attempt to re-launch CM. If it reports that it still doesn't see the CD then you may want to delete the Prefs file and see if this makes any difference (it shouldn't). The next step is reinstalling CM. I don't know if you can just copy the Combat Mission.exe file or if it has to be decompressed by an installer for the CDV version. If you can see this file on the CD, attempt to copy it to the CM folder/directory. If this isn't available, then perform an uninstall on CM and then reinstall it.

You may want to make sure that no programs or utilities are running in the background when you attempt to run CM. Something may be interfering with CM being able to recognize the CD. The CDV release uses a different copy protection scheme that is more complex than the internet version. I'd suggest turning off any CD-related utilities that you may have loaded up.

CM was not patched.

I can access cd rom from explorer.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, both with install utility and with direct copy of the .exe copy from cd.

Deleting the pref file doesn't change anything.

I can't think of any utility running in the background that could interfere with cd, but I have stopped everything I could and problem remains.

Is there a tech support from cdv on this copy protection you mention?

Thanks for your help.

I know the CDV release has two CDs (but maybe that is only in the UK, I'm not sure), so be sure that you have the correct CD installed.

I don't know if CDV offers any tech support on this product, I tend to doubt it. Apparently this release uses SafeDisc copy protection, which may have some problems with certain CD/DVD drives (I don't know which models). Macrovision (the SafeDisc publisher) doesn't offer a list online, but they offer a list of tested drives upon request. Unfortunately, Macrovision doesn't seem to offer any end-user support, just developer-oriented support.

Do you know the manufacturer, model and firmware revision of your particular drive ? Is a CDR/CDRW drive ? You can find some of this info in Win98 by going to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > open the CDROM item and double-click on the drive (the name here may give you the manufacturer and model, but it isn't always correct) > Settings tab > to the right near the top should be a 'Firmware Revision' line. The manufacturer may have a firmware update (which is more common for CDR/CDRW drives) that may address SafeDisc compatibility.

I had exactly the same problem, and have had twice. On each occasion, the solution was to replace the CD-Rom drive. Don't ask me why, but it worked both times. Maybe the firmware gets something wierd in it. I don't know. Not a cheap way for me to fix a problem. :rolleyes:

The SafeDisc format is very hard to read for some CDROMs since it somewhat violates the standard for data CDs (red/orange/yellow book ?). It's possible that as the CD drive ages it is less capable mechanically of reading the SafeDisc format (aging components and all). There's a possibility (an outright guess on my part) that DVD and CDR/CDRW drives may be more susceptible to having reading problems with the SafeDisc format than most CDROMs (different lasers, firmware and formats).

SafeDisc wasn't specifically BTS/BFC's choice; CDV had requested a much tougher copy protection scheme for their distribution.

I have just installed a brand new cd/dvd player, and, miracle, it works... It seems that the "safe disk" protection didn't like the other drive (a cdr writer). I am a lucky guy that i had this new drive, I really don't know how this could be solved without new hardware.

This protection thing probably needs a little bit of tuning!

Thanks to all who helped.

Hi Schrullenhaft, a couple of points leading on from plastics problem.

As I live in the UK and only have an 'ageing' CD/RW in my laptop I'm likely to hit the same problem with a CDV version of CMBB.

Can you confirm that Safedisc will be used by CDV again, if so I'll order from your website.

Would drive me potty to get a version that won't run :confused:

I don't really know if the CDV release of CMBB will be encoded with SafeDisc, but I would say that is a more than likely possibility.

Having a CDR/CDRW or DVD drive isn't going to guarantee that you'll have problems, but there may be a slightly higher chance that you will. This may be true as the drive ages. I'm not exactly sure how SafeDisc works, but it is encoded in a manner that isn't to a 'standard book'. Depending on how tight the drive manufacturer keeps to the 'book values' this may cause problems, though Macrovision claims that 99% of drives work with their copy protection scheme.

As Soddball pointed out some people see this problem with the Internet released version of CMBO, though this typically happened for people who upgraded from a previous OS to WinXP (and only a few people had that problem).

I'd suggest to anyone that has a CDR/CDRW or DVD drive to check their manufacturer's website and see if there are any new firmware updates for their drive. Most of the time for the CDR/CDRW it affects compatibility with certain burning programs or sometimes media. There is a slight possibility that sometimes getting the latest firmware may cause more problems.

Before you guys run out and buy new CD drives, try to find out if there has been a new firmware release for your drive. I had a practically brand new DVD drive when Diablo 2 came out, and I couldn't get it to work until I updated the firmware. Check the manufacturer's website for firmware.

BeWary