Does AI 'see' dust clouds?

Fluf

Oh man! Got home at midnight last night but just had to try the CMAK demo. Tried the African scenario as the attacking side. The first time I look up to check my watch and its like 4:30 a.m.!

Wow.

So does anyone know if the AI opponent sees and reacts to those impressive dust clouds?

As an aside, the new explosions/gun flashes are certainly realistic looking, but the child in me did love the old expanding concussion spheres of CMBO. They were so satisfyingly explosive.

My guess would be that the AI doesn't react to the dust clouds. If it did, it would be way too easy to use this reaction against it, by creating dust clouds with jeeps.

Sometimes adding a little cleverness to the AI can have really bad results. Since the AI is not really smart enough to reason about the situation and consider the possibility that the dust clouds could be a deception, it is on balance better that it just ignore them.

My impression is that the AI tends to ignore vehicles that have moved out of line of sight as well. It certainly doesn't seem to react appropriately to situations such as those where a vehicle must be behind a building (because it was seen at the edge of the building, and there was nowhere else for it to go without being spotted...)

In the absence of AI systems better than current research prototypes smile.gif the best strategy for BFC to pursue is to build a reasonably robust AI that doesn't try to be too smart. Trying to be smart when you really aren't is a recipe for disaster. It ends up generating a lot of really stupid behavior when the humans learn to manipulate the system.