O Canada!... Another MOD Posted!

Available you know where.

A complete makeover of the Canadian uniforms, featuring the proper greenish color inherent to Canadian battledress as well as improved Mk. 2 and Mk. 4 helmets. Blank arm textures are included for those that want to play around with modding different unit insignia. Otherwise I've included generic Canadian sleeve insignia.

The obligatory screenies:

canucks.jpg

Comparison between Canadian (L) and British ® battledress:

bd_comp.jpg

Does this mean a mod for the rest of the Commonwealth troops is in the works? Well, duh! (as we said in grade school).

HQ unit. I like the way the cap turned out.

canuck_hq.jpg

Please note the Über-weapon of the Canadian officers--the miniaturized Mosin-Nagant rifle!!! That bolt must have been a pain in the butt to work... smile.gif

[ January 10, 2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I like 'em. But I hope meant Mk III helmet, not Mk IV... ;)

Good colour, too, spot on. And nicely cleaned webbing with shiny brass. RSM will be happy.

Did you get my email in regards to these?

Sorry... Mk. 3. What do I know... I'm just an artist. At least I didn't say Mk. 5 ;)

I didn't get any e-mails from you... I thought you were neglecting me. :( I wonder why they didn't come through. :confused:

Originally posted by Mark Gallear:

Very, very nice as usual.

Forget the Mk of the helmet how did you get rid of the pointy heads or dont Canadians have them for some reason?

;)

The pointy heads are still there. The screenies show the rounder Mk4 helmets depicted in later scenario dates.

mk2.jpg

I've tried to make it less pointy-looking, but I'm not sure how successful I was. smile.gif

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mark Gallear:

Very, very nice as usual.

Forget the Mk of the helmet how did you get rid of the pointy heads or dont Canadians have them for some reason?

;)

The pointy heads are still there. The screenies show the rounder Mk4 helmets depicted in later scenario dates.

mk2.jpg

I've tried to make it less pointy-looking, but I'm not sure how successful I was. smile.gif </font>

Andrew, just noticed something. ON the back of the dude in the picture above, there should be a bit of suspender brace hanging below the left hand buckle on the back of the belt. See how the right one attaches to the water bottle carrier? The brace that goes over the right hand shoulder connects to the left hand buckle on the back of the belt.

belt.gif

brace.gif

fightingorder.jpg

If you pretend the gas cape and etool aren't in the photo above, you can still see the brace end and brass tip threaded through the buckle. Would be easy to add to your mod.

gear.jpg

gear1a.jpg

All Commonwealth units switch to this funky helmet in the game at some point in 1944. I assumed with its odd sloping back it was meant to look like the Mk.3 helmet but it suppose could be something else. I totally forgot about the little tabs on the back of the belt. I meant to add them at a later point in the process but obviously never did it. Good call. smile.gif

Nice work Andrew....I have some nice extras planned to complement your uniforms in the not too distant future.... ;)

Now, on the topic of headgear....

(and this is just a general musing, directed at BFC not Andrew)

Why are the Canadian Company/Battalion HQ units wearing a Service Dress cap as opposed to a beret (like units in the armoured corps)? I can't recall seeing many regimental officers in service dress caps in the field. From what I've read and seen in pictures, the beret was the typical heagear in theatre.

Great mods, Andrew - I know I'll be using them in for any Canadian scenarios that I play.

Here's a few extremely nitpicky questions for Michael Dorosh, or any other Canadian uniform grog out there:

I know that the typical enlisted man in Commonwealth service wasn't issued a tie (up until around 1944), and at least when "walking out", was supposed to wear the blouse collar closed. In bitmaps 9701 and 9702, their collars are shown open, with astandard issue collared shirt underneath.

Now, field conditions being what they were, I can imagine the typical fighting man wanting to undo that scratchy blouse collar during battle conditions. I've seen the collar being worn open, so obviously it did happen. Three questions about this:

A) Did enlisted men wear their collars open in the field as the rule, or the exception?

B) I know that the Canadian Army used both collarless and collared shirts underneath the uniform blouse. Which is correct in the context of CMAK?

C) Should the two officer BMPs, 9703 and 9704 have neckties? I've seen shots of officers in the field wearing ties, and sometimes not. A few accounts mention the practice of not wearing ties to avoid snipers, but in these cases, rank insignia, pistols and binoculars would also be dispensed with, so it's a moot point to say that they wouldn't be wearing ties for this reason.

Now, a question for Andrew or the modders: What's the difference between 9701.bmp and 9702.bmp? They look identical, so when is one used vs. the other? I remember in previous mods, there was the ability to have one of the infantrymen wearing the leather jerkin (which would likely be very uncomfortable in Italian or Sicilian summers ;) ) - is this the reason for the apparent duplication?

Any khaki drill uniforms for Canadians in the works? Or is this already in the game somehow?

Originally posted by Kozure:

[QB] Great mods, Andrew - I know I'll be using them in for any Canadian scenarios that I play.

Here's a few extremely nitpicky questions for Michael Dorosh, or any other Canadian uniform grog out there:

I know that the typical enlisted man in Commonwealth service wasn't issued a tie (up until around 1944), and at least when "walking out", was supposed to wear the blouse collar closed. In bitmaps 9701 and 9702, their collars are shown open, with astandard issue collared shirt underneath.

Now, field conditions being what they were, I can imagine the typical fighting man wanting to undo that scratchy blouse collar during battle conditions. I've seen the collar being worn open, so obviously it did happen. Three questions about this:

A) Did enlisted men wear their collars open in the field as the rule, or the exception?

Photos show both methods; usually open for comfort, but in cold or windy weather, done up. It was entirely up to each individual when in the field. Roll-neck sweaters were not unheard of, scarves, etc. also the use of the camo face veil as a scarf.

B) I know that the Canadian Army used both collarless and collared shirts underneath the uniform blouse. Which is correct in the context of CMAK?
The collarless shirt (a misnomer, though - it had a band collar in khaki cotton) was standard issue and period photos bear this out. Collared shirts were probably rare, though in Italy US collared shirts were apparently popular. Canadian clothing was not generally used in Italy with the exception of Canadian BD.

C) Should the two officer BMPs, 9703 and 9704 have neckties? I've seen shots of officers in the field wearing ties, and sometimes not. A few accounts mention the practice of not wearing ties to avoid snipers, but in these cases, rank insignia, pistols and binoculars would also be dispensed with, so it's a moot point to say that they wouldn't be wearing ties for this reason.
The neckties were usually dispensed with, but not unheard of. I am waiting for Darknight to do his extensive regimental mods - this can now include regimental neckties. heehee...he thought his research on that was complete.

Now, a question for Andrew or the modders: What's the difference between 9701.bmp and 9702.bmp? They look identical, so when is one used vs. the other? I remember in previous mods, there was the ability to have one of the infantrymen wearing the leather jerkin (which would likely be very uncomfortable in Italian or Sicilian summers ;) ) - is this the reason for the apparent duplication?

Any khaki drill uniforms for Canadians in the works? Or is this already in the game somehow?

I am looking forward to some winter (ground snow) mods - can we still do that by adding 10 in front of the bmp number? Gloves and leather jerkins will be in order...