Keyboard and mouse freezes

While trashing your CM preferences file is a place to start, I doubt that it will fix your problem with keyboard and mouse freezes. What plaform are you running on (PC or Mac) ? With your keyboard or mouse freezing, I'd guess that you're possibly having a hardware/driver problem. You may want to try a different (lower) resolution than what you're currently running to see if this helps your situation or not.

Your saved games will be in the Saved Games directory/folder within CMBO.

Do know how much memory you have allocated to CM ? I'd suggest increasing it if you are only using the defaults (which is somewhere around 30000K I believe). I'd also suggest turning off Virtual Memory. While this isn't absolutely necessary, it does help a few users.

What OS are you using and do you have the latest ATI drivers (which are part of 9.0.4/9.1 to my knowledge) ?

When you said lower resolution, I presumed you meant changing from 800x600 to 640x480. But that only produced a blotch of pinkish purple that resembled a rorschach test gone awry. And the game would not play using 1024x768 resolution.

Now, I'll try 800x600 and use 256 color depth instead of "thousands."

Schrullenhaft, memory allocation was preset at minimum, 37609 and preferred, 43609. I'll increase the minimuim to 42000. Also, I'm using 9.04. I could upgrade to 9.1, but I thought I read somewhere tht CM was unstable in 9.1. Heard anything about that? :confused:

I'm not aware of CM being unstable under 9.1 (though that may be the situation for some people who have upgraded their OS). 9.1 may use more memory than 9.0.4, but I'm not sure. I'm under the impression that the ATI drivers in 9.1 probably aren't all that newer (if not the exact same) as those in 9.0.4. OS 9.1 does have the latest OpenGL (which comes with the 1.12 patch anyway). If you're happy with the way that 9.0.4 is working for you, then I really wouldn't recommend the upgrade to 9.1.

I'm not sure why you saw a "pinkish purple rorchach test" switching to 640 x 480. One of the 640 x 480 resolutions will be a "software rendered" mode that is a bit slower and lower in detail than a hardware accelerated 640 x 480.

CM runs in "thousands" (16-bit) of colors. You'd probably want to remain at that color depth rather than switching to 256 (I'm not sure what you'll see at that color depth).

You may want to set the minimum memory allocation a little higher and reduce the number of control panels and extensions that you're loading up to see if this helps or not. Are you using a non-Apple mouse and/or keyboard ? Do you have any other USB devices plugged into your iMac ?