What new features should the first CMx2 demo scenarios showcase?

If you are interested in read more about your Id'ing suggest below this thread spotting and ID'ing thread has been recently bumped and includes many lengthy posts and a discussion about FOW settings and options for CMx2....

-tomw

"Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted February 24, 2005 12:10 AM

Quick comment...

CMx1 has much of what you guys are talking about, though certainly not as many inbetween states (i.e. not fully identified, but somehow located) as we would all like to see. The primary problem with CMx1's ID'ing system has to do with Absolute Spotting. With such a system it is very, very difficult to get highly variable states of identification that stick for very long. At least when there are lots of units in play or in theory visible to each other. Don't believe me?

To test what I am saying, make a map with heavily closed in terrain and sparsely spread out infantry. Oh, say Heavy Woods. Try this in day, night, and heavy fog. You'll see it is very difficult to identify stuff, yet this is the same exact code you guys are talking about.

What this means is that if we changed NOTHING else except Absolute Spotting, the CMx2 Spotting and IDing system would yield a lot less informative than what the average CMx1 game experience is like.

As for what sorts of options players will have regarding levels of Fog of War... that is something I can't get into just yet. But yes, there will be various options that can be used to create more or less difficult games in terms of enemy intel. But in all options, no matter what, Relative Spotting will exist. It won't mean as much for the least realistic FOW option as it will for the most, but it will still have an impact.

Steve"

Originally posted by General Colt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

[snip]

The hardest possible EFOW setting to play againt the AI.

-tom w

What about an FOW setting where the spotted unit nationality icons go away after 1 or 2 minutes or the icons move slightly (random direction) for every minute the unit is unspotted.

"Hmmm, now where did I spot that squad 5 minutes ago. Weren't they in those trees or was it those trees?" </font>

Those two points should be priorities and make the two best reasons NOT to allow the game engine to be editable.

I was more asking a question as I know little about computer code outside of the very in depth C++ class I took about 10 years ago : ). If they opened up the engine to allow conversion how easy would it be to install a "validator" that would check CMBO for correct versions/cheats ect? As to the game engine, isn't that copywrite protected or can the general idea/system be stolen?

The market and community for GOOD (great) wargames is small enough without trying to fracture it and alienate the historical accuracy fanatics (grogs) with homespun data and stats open to user manipulation and editing.

I think you are wrong here. If there was 40k total conversion mod I don't think people would play less CM. I would play the same CM, just less of other games on my desktop. I doubt you would fracture this community and some of the older people/community sites that have dissappeared might still be around. Mods do add longevity to games and their community but if it would sacrifice the "non-cheat factor" of CM then I would agree with you that it is not worth it.

Grapeshot,

You assume opening the code would be easy. It isn't. The amount of time and amount of work to enter new stuff in CM is one of the big reasons to go to the new engine, where that will no longer be an issue. With the new engine be open? No. Steve already publically stated no. Make a new engine, allow anyone to create anything, then put themselves out of buisness. Along with that, people trying to hack the game to gain an advantage, etc, and you defeated what you were trying to do, which is a fun, multi-player game, while making enough to go on to the next game.

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

Grapeshot,

You assume opening the code would be easy. It isn't. The amount of time and amount of work to enter new stuff in CM is one of the big reasons to go to the new engine, where that will no longer be an issue. With the new engine be open? No. Steve already publically stated no. Make a new engine, allow anyone to create anything, then put themselves out of buisness. Along with that, people trying to hack the game to gain an advantage, etc, and you defeated what you were trying to do, which is a fun, multi-player game, while making enough to go on to the next game.

Rune

Thanks for the explanation.

What new features the first demo-scenarios should showcase?

My wish is not really spectacular but i would like to see a really, really difficult battle, showing all the new possibilities of the AI in defence.

But difficult demo-battles could easily become frustrating for CM-newbies. So a difficulty-rating could be a solution?

n/a-easy-medium-expert-crack?

This would also have the positive side effect, that we would see more unblanced battles, without the designer being blamed for an unbalanced battle. The variety of battles would become much wider, which only can be good.