What I want to see in the Cheery Waffle Thread X2

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief! Isn't it, like three in the morning in Cali-forn-eye-ay? Who do you think you are, Keke?

Don't any of you people sleep?

[aside]These people are nuts! (and possibly they are in conflict with the law, which I don't find amusing)[/aside]

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Good grief! Isn't it, like three in the morning in Cali-forn-eye-ay?

Good to see your remedial 'time telling' lessons are almost working.

Now we need to work on your spelling of US states. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mace

Axe, can you explain that Newfoundland Standard Time zone? Did Newfoundland set its own time before the province joined with Canada, and then refused to switch to Atlantic Standard Time? I guess if everyone is a fisherman or a farmer it wouldn't matter too much what time it was. Just like Keke and Kitty! :D:D

Originally posted by Dave H:

Axe, can you explain that Newfoundland Standard Time zone?

Why yes Dave, yes I can.

Many people wonder why the Province of Newfoundland has a time zone that varies by the half hour rather than the standard one hour. While the system of Standard Time employs 24 meridians, and each are theoretically the centres of 24 Standard Time zones, some adjustments have been made to the time zones for the convenience of inhabitants that lie within the zones. Newfoundland, (but not Labrador), lies squarely in the eastern half of its time zone, exactly three and a half hours from Greenwich. The Newfoundland government attempted to bring the province into conformity with the other Atlantic provinces in 1963, but withdrew in the face of stiff public opposition. Other countries that operate on the half hour time difference are: Suriname, Iran, India, Sri Lanka, and Central Australia.

From here.

Oh, and by the way, a Canadian Sir Sandford Flemming, invented Time Zones.

f1flemin.gif

Aren't you glad you asked?

P.S. Before Newfoundland joined Confederation in March 31, 1949 the late CBC radio broadcaster Foster Hewitt used to open his radio broadcasts with "Hello, Canada – and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland."

My dad still remembers listening around the radio in the kitchen of his grandfather — literally around the hot stove — with the bitter Kirkland Lake winter outside.

Funny, I never really got into hockey, either as a kid or an adult.

God gawd — from time zones to Confederation to hockey — I'm rambling like an 85 year old. redface.gif :mad: :mad: redface.gif

Eep. In the polar bear spot, they say the bears are important to the Eskimo culture. That sure dates it.

They're now referred to as Inuit, since Eskimo was what the Algonquians called them (eaters of raw flesh).

They call themselves the Inuit, which means "the people."