Merrymen in Italy?

Good old Google.

The Littlejohn Adaptor

The Czech designer Janacek (which translates as "little John") was working on squeezebore weapons and ammunition in the late 1930s. The principle was similar to the Gerlich taper bore, but achieved by adding an adaptor to the muzzle of an existing gun, rather than by using a specially-made tapered barrel. Work continued in Britain during the war, leading to the adoption of the "Littlejohn adaptor" for the 2 pdr tank/anti-tank gun (40x304R) and the associated flanged projectiles, designed to be squeezed down from 40mm to around 30mm. The lightweight projectiles, known as APSV (armour piercing super velocity) were fired at very high velocities, resulting in a considerable increase in armour penetration. Two marks were issued, the Mk 2 projectile being longer and heavier because of the addition of nose and ballistic caps. The 2 pdr Littlejohn saw service in armoured cars and light tanks.

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/sgun.htm

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I thought from reading the subject line that this would a quaint interrogative from a dumbfounded forum member inquiring whether or not there really was a "Sherwood Foresters" regiment in the British Army.

Now, I don't dare to ask, but there was a "Sherwood Foresters" regiment in the British Army?

Hehe, just kidding... :D

Did they wear tights?

No, really just a joke. ;)

(I have the strange feeling someone is going to kill me for that...)

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Of more concern, there is a Sherwood Foresters Regiment.

This man is the RSM. Note that he is not wearing tights.

And judging by the way he looks, he'll beat the cr@p out of me if I ever doubt that again.

Actually I think "Sherwood Foresters" is a pretty cool name, too... :D

(Now if you'll excuse me...I have to check if my front door is locked properly.)

Originally posted by birdstrike:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives: There was a Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry armoured regiment.

"Sherwood Rangers"?

Sounds pretty cool, me thinks... definitely better than "Sherwood Foresters".

Now, I wonder if they were wearing tights. :D

(Yes, now I'm sure, someone WILL kill me for that...) </font>