Graphic problem

This problem was mentioned on an earlier thread but no reply.

After installing Patch 1.01 arty explosions turn into slow expanding white squares, when smoke is set at high quality graphics.

Ron

PS I have a voodoo2 card, but have also experienced the problems on another system, with a tnt2 card and matrox 12 meg 3d card not sure of type. I have low end system (pent233). is this a graphic card problem or a CPU problem?

[This message has been edited by Blackwood (edited 07-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Blackwood (edited 07-11-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ironcross:

i too have a p11 233 with banshee card,after loading version 1 ,the game is still ok,maybe youve d/loaded into wrong spot?

the only thing wrong ive had is waiting when playing large scenarios like the sherbrooke fusiliers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm the one who post the original question, and I'm still having trouble with smoke.

I installed the patch twice, update all my drivers, and nothing change.

Excuse me if any of this sounds insulting, but I want to make sure that you are updating CM correctly:

When you extracted the v. 1.01 update you got a directory named: "cm v1.01 update". In this directory there was the new CM executable, a replacement .wav file, the readme file and a "New BMP" directory.

(from the Readme.txt file):

1. Note the following files contained in this update:

- Combat Mission.exe (application file, v1.01)

- "New BMP" directory, contains 1720.BMP through 1729.BMP

(10 graphics files)

- 00002080.WAV (sound file)

2. Replace the old "Combat Mission.exe" application file with the new

one.

3. Move the CONTENTS of the "New BMP" directory into the "BMP"

directory. Make sure you move the ten files INSIDE "New BMP" into the

BMP directory - do not copy the "New BMP" directory itself. In other words copy/move all the files from "New BMP" to the BMP subdirectory of CMBO. DO NOT copy/move the directory and its contents to the BMP directory. If you do then the v. 1.01 CM can't reference the graphic files properly and hence the "white squares".

4. Move 00002080.WAV into the "WAV" directory.

Assuming you've done all this correctly, then you may be having a problem with your graphics drivers. Generally a problem with the new explosion graphics would usually indicate a problem with other transparencies.

Yep, Schrullenhaft I followed all the above steps, V1.01 shows on the title page, didn't have problems prior to the patch, and have tried it on two separate systems with different 3 cards, yes it could be me but I dont know what, only other explanation is the 2 computers are low end

Well, I am running CM on pentium 233(mmx) with TNT2 M64 (PCI) display card and vortex2-based sounds,win95SR2, 64Mb memory, full install. The new explosion etc are fine, so I suppose that problem lies with voodoo2. (Tho, I earlier used voodoo2+4Mb primary card and it worked fine if slow, too, apart from those explosions. Mine showed the correct graphics, but they were almost totally transparent and thus quite invisible..)

On my system small/medium scenarios are quite playable in 1024x768, when ambient sound is turned off. (horizon 2,5 km, sparse/medium trees, full weather*, full smoke, 2 men per squad). Usually the first 30 secs of replay are problematic with frames every 2 seconds or so, but after pausing and playing again it works fine for the rest of the scenario(* although the fog tends to cause slowdowns occasionally). Almost like the system used some sort of "lazy-load" scheme which then hogs the processing power in start of first replay.

BTW, how much memory do you have in your primary display adapter? At least some newer games have problems with older 2Mb cards even when 2Mb should be enough...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackwood:

I have a voodoo2 card, but have also experienced the problems on another system, with a tnt2 card and matrox 12 meg 3d card not sure of type. I have low end system (pent233). is this a graphic card problem or a CPU problem?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's a problem with the Voodoo2. I have one too, and I'm experiencing the same problems (in the 1.00 demo). I've read in another thread that it's probably driver related...

Dschugaschwili

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Topi:

Well, I am running CM on pentium 233(mmx) with TNT2 M64 (PCI) display card and vortex2-based sounds,win95SR2, 64Mb memory, full install. The new explosion etc are fine, so I suppose that problem lies with voodoo2. (Tho, I earlier used voodoo2+4Mb primary card and it worked fine if slow, too, apart from those explosions. Mine showed the correct graphics, but they were almost totally transparent and thus quite invisible..)

On my system small/medium scenarios are quite playable in 1024x768, when ambient sound is turned off. (horizon 2,5 km, sparse/medium trees, full weather*, full smoke, 2 men per squad). Usually the first 30 secs of replay are problematic with frames every 2 seconds or so, but after pausing and playing again it works fine for the rest of the scenario(* although the fog tends to cause slowdowns occasionally). Almost like the system used some sort of "lazy-load" scheme which then hogs the processing power in start of first replay.

BTW, how much memory do you have in your primary display adapter? At least some newer games have problems with older 2Mb cards even when 2Mb should be enough...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Topi,

can you run on 1024 x 768 res? I run my desktop a this res but I can only get 800 x whatever witn CM. I have a 4meg Matrox Mystique video card. Apart from the expanding white square I don't any probs with the game. Medium size games run well with all options on, and the large scenarios such as SS vs Nova Scotia are slow but playable. thanks for feedback, and can you still buy pci tnt2 cards, a retailer here in Melbourne Oz said they wouldn't run on a lowend sys and were no longer available, Maybe he was talking thru his bum.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>can you run on 1024 x 768 res? I run my desktop a this res but I can only get 800 x whatever witn CM. I have a 4meg Matrox Mystique video card. Apart from the expanding white square I don't any probs with the game. Medium size games run well with all options on, and the large scenarios such as SS vs Nova Scotia are slow but playable. thanks for feedback, and can you still buy pci tnt2 cards, a retailer here in Melbourne Oz said they wouldn't run on a lowend sys and were no longer available, Maybe he was talking thru his bum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Single Voodoo2 supports "only" 800x600 in 3D-accel games, so no, I did not get that resolution until TNT2.(In principle 2 voodoo2 cards in SLI-configuration should run things in 1024xsomething, but I am not sure if this works with every application.)

TNT2 PCI cards are quite rare at least here in Finland, but I managed to find one -- the good part is that they are usually also quite cheap. I am under impression that they hog more CPU power that voodoo3 line, but voodoo has other problems. (At least I understood so from reading this forum, so now that I invested into a new card you guys are free to correct me. smile.gif

TNT2 PCI cards usually list either P-166 or PII as minimum requirements but at least my computer seems to works fine with it. I have yet to experiement with setting lower res and seeing how it impacts the speed of play. This far it seems that ambient sound has biggest impact, then the fog. I usually start the scenario with minimum settings and then up them slowly until it starts slowing down. (It must also be noted that time and time again it has been proved that I will merrily play a game which is "unplayably slow" to others...)

Blackwood - I believe the low-end/older Matrox cards (old Millenium series and G200) have some transparency problems with their drivers/hardware. I believe the same thing goes for the Voodoo 2 series (I can't recall exactly if any newer drivers addressed these issues or not). The TNT2 on the other hand should have worked fine.

One of the better sites to get drivers from (including ones that aren't officially released yet) is Reactor Critical.

http://www.reactorcritical.com

Originally posted by Topi:

Single Voodoo2 supports "only" 800x600 in 3D-accel games, so no, I did not get that resolution until TNT2

Now I have Falcon 4 running ina voodo2 system with Glide in 1024x768, so maybe the problem is elsewhere.

No, the problem most likly still is with the voodoo card. Falcon uses the glide driver, while Combat Mission will only run DirectX.

Rune

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alessi:

Originally posted by Topi:

Single Voodoo2 supports "only" 800x600 in 3D-accel games, so no, I did not get that resolution until TNT2

Now I have Falcon 4 running ina voodo2 system with Glide in 1024x768, so maybe the problem is elsewhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>