AT gun - Scout car follies

UPCdave

Hi guys,

Last night in a small QB I decided to take the Kiwis out into battle, see how they sounded, looked etc:)

Auto pick gave me, among other things, a handfull of Humber scout cars. Fine, I thought, no worries, will be neat to see them rip around the place.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after seeing all but one turned into Roman candles by a German 75mm PAK, I managed to get the surviving scout car right upto the gun, from the flank. Remembering having seen one of my guns being physically 'over-run' and knocked out by an mg carrier in CMBO, I thought this will be a similar story.

To my disbelief, after sustained MG fire just 18 metres out from the Scout car, and rifle fire from the front, the *Green* German AT crew just sat there! I then drove the scout car right ontop of the gun. Nothing happened. Germans sat there, scout car sat there.

After reversing, ramming, reversing and ramming again. I gave up. Nothng happened, AT gun remained there...then slowly turned and brewed the car up.

Erm what gives?:)

Cheers

Dave

Just did a quick test.

One medium Humber scout car is driving towards a medium 75mm PAK gun(no shells available offcourse), shooting with the 2 mg's

In the second turn the gun crew is panicking, in the third turn the crew is routed and is running away, they are all shot in the back....

Seems pretty realistic to me.

Monty

In another scenario I had British tanks overrunning several green Italian AT guns. Usually the crew surrendered when the tank approached the gun position, sometimes not until the tank was right on top of it. Occasionally the crew would not surrender or even abandon the gun. One crew was down to one man and never did surrender, even after several turns of 2in mortar fire and ranged infantry fire, and with the tank sitting right on top of it. The last crew member finally died when an infantry platoon swept over the position.

To the best of my knowledge, the game doesn't model infantry or guns being crushed by vehicles. It may have looked that way when you ran the carrier over the AT gun, but it was probably just the gun crew deciding to split right at that moment.

Regarding the test : it's normal for troops to break faster if you don't give them any ammo. The matter of whether the unit can do anything to harm the threat it is facing weighs heavily in making the decision to fight or give up. Obviously no ammo is a good reason to give up and run.

And then there are the usual considerations of HQ bonuses and fanaticism to be made of course.

I also saw the same thing happening a couple of days ago. I drove a medium English tank up and over an Italian gun position all the way straffing it with machine gun fire. To my surprise the crew never broke and never left the gun. I too had to wait and bring up infantry to take it out.

Mies