**Ambush scheme**

Well, never came across that... and I AM German. But it sounds reasonable. Would fit in with the description and the effect they wanted to achieve. But I´ve never heard of it and none of my sources speak of that term.

Gurra, would you care to explain from where you have that information? Thanks...

Ok, after some digging among my books, I found the one where I know I have read it:

Armor at War Series nr. 7006

Panther

quote:

Defending the East Prussian town of Goldap in early 1945 this Panther clearly displays the revised side plates of the Ausf. G. due to production of the JagdPanther, the hull´s side angle was changed and the armor increased to nearly 2 inches(50mm). The camouflage was called Licht und Schatten Tarnung, more commonly known as the ambush scheme. The number "213" was applied in white.

The text describes your first photo.

Best Regards

Gurra

;)

Should have thought of that... I own it, too. *slap* But I think it´s the only book to mention that name. Or do you have another one, Gurra? Camouflage discussion is a favorite hobby of mine, especially regarding the Panther.

Zweihorn, there are many names for that special pattern. "Hinterhaltschema", "Hinterhalt-Tarnung", "Hinterhalt-Tarnschema" etc. Every single one meaning the same. Actually, I think most people don´t really know what the REAL name was. But "Licht und Schatten" might be it...

Bruce Culver has written:

Later in the retreat across France and in the weeks before the Ardennes offensive, many German tanks and tank destroyers were used from ambush, as rear guard units.

To improve the camouflage of these vehicles, usually hidden in trees or heavy brush, a modification of the three color scheme was employed.

On the dark yellow base, spots of olive green

and red brown were painted in random patterns.

On the olive green and red brown portions of the vehicles, spots of dark yellow were painted, again in random patterns.

Usually foliage was added to the vehicles so painted in order to break up the outline shape.

The spots of light and dark colors contrasted against the vehicles basic camouflage colors, simulating perfectly the spotty shadows and pinpoints of light that usually resulted when sunlight filtered through trees.

The result was that vehicles painted in this "ambush" scheme and hidden in trees were virtually undetectable even from close range.

I think if nobody knows the exact term used for this scheme, the description done by Bruce Culver

give reason to all.

I like "ombres et lumieres"("shadows and lights")("Licht und shatten") 'cause define exactly the scheme described by Bruce Culver.

"Ambush" define why the scheme was used for.

Thanks to all

Pat