Thanks to JonS

rune

JonS did a lot of research and helped edit my briefings, and we came up, with what I hope will be a great 2 player scenario. Large in size, it features the Last Offensive of the Eighth Army in Italy in April 1945, well, at least for the Kiwis. Being tested two player now [and if you want to test it, drop me a line] for balance.

So the purpose of this thread is a public thank you to JonS for his help with the scenario. It was fun working with you. Hey Jon, am at work, so if you catch this before I get home, put JUST the main briefing here so people get an idea of what it is about. [Point value subject to change, of course]

Rune

Title: The Last Offensive

Type: Meeting Engagement

Date: April 16th, 1945

Region: Italy

Weather: Day, Clear, Farmland

Terrain: Dirt

Wind: Breeze from the W

Turns: 45+

Best Played as: Best played as Two Player, or as Allied against the AI. AI should be free to place.

Author: Tim 'Rune' Orosz

Background: The Eighth Army started its final offensive in Italy on 9 April 1945, under the biggest artillery and air bombardment of the Italian Campaign. The object was to enter and take the Po Valley. The hurricane of fire caught the Germans by surprise, and the Senio River was quickly crossed with only moderate enemy resistance. The attack came from Indian, Kiwi, Polish, British divisions, along with the Jewish Brigade.

2nd New Zealand Division had crashed through the Germans' "Irmgard Line" on the Senio River on the first day, then the "Laura Line" on the Santerno two days later, and the "Paula Line" along the Sillaro on the night of 15th-16th April. The German 98th Infantry Division had been shattered after a week of constant fighting, with many prisoners taken, but reinforcements were arriving and resistance was stiffening in front of the Kiwis.

/cont..

By dawn on the 16th April 2(NZ)Div held a two mile wide bridgehead across the Sillaro River with two brigades. The Germans had to regain the river line to hold in this area, while the Kiwis sought to beakout and advance to the next river line. Both sides brought fresh forces up, and they would meet in the rich farmland west of the Sillaro.

Semi-Historical, about 5400 points.

Sources:

http://members.aol.com/ItalyWW2/Imola.htm

4th New Zealand Armoured Brigade in Italy by Jeffrey Plowman and Malcolm Thomas

Thanks to Jon 'JonS' Sowden for all of his help!

Aww shucks redface.gif 'twas nothing.

Thanks to Rune for letting me help with it. It was fun, and I think he has designed a very interesting scenario with reasonable and credible forces on both sides. It plays well single player too, whoich is never an easy thing for a designer to do, so a big ups to Rune for his creation.

I'm looking forward to what Kingfish comes up with too smile.gif As for Mace, well I'm just looking forward to the next beer :D

Be cool

JonS