Yet Another CMX2 Idea

Not a demand! Just an humble petition to the BFC demigods. It's probably been suggested before, but I haven't heard of it. It came to me during a discussion of the affects of barbed wire on Woods tiles, how it makes woods passable to tanks and opens LOS:

Expand the range of fortifications available to the defending player to include "projects" usually associated with engineers. These might include "AT Trench," "Cut Trees/Cleared Brush," "Graded Slope," and "Demolition," which could be applied to bridges or buildings.

Like trenches and wire, these terrain modifications would only become visible when the attacking player achieves LOS to them. This would add some realism to CM mapreading, improving over the current situation where the attacker enjoys maps that are 100% accurate over the entire field of play, and the defender does not receive the RL advantage of better knowledge of the ground.

It would also bring some engineer tasks into the game in a way which might satisfy both those who have been hankering for engineer functions, and BFC which believes such operations are outside the scope of a CM game. This solution would keep the actual performance of these tasks outside the gameplay, while still allowing their inclusion in an abstract way. And we know how BFC loves abstraction! smile.gif

Some of these tasks might be included with the purchase of Engineer formations, at a point discount, much the way support weapons are now included with the purchase of many formations. Most axe-and-shovel type tasks would be available for purchase by any force type, while some specialized tasks (Demolition?) might require the presence of engineers. Some tasks might be avaliable to attackers between battles of an operation. Sound contacts could be displayed during the Setup phase to alert players that demolition or other mischief had been done outside their LOS.

edit: Instead of asking defenders to spend points on such things, perhaps a certain number of "projects" could be awarded automatically at Setup? The number of such projects could vary based on the manpower of the defending force, and its quality: my readings suggest that veteran troops usually dug in better than new recruits.

[ January 06, 2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: SFJaykey ]

OK, OK, I'll stop. Since I've been spending most of my time over at BoB and only popping in here I hadn't realized that CMX2 discussions had become so frowned upon.

I just hope that when the CMX2 forum is finally created and the floodgates of suggestions are opened, we don't hear that "the newly-completed engine won't allow that." Companies pay big $$$ for research on what their customers want; not sure why BFC resists getting that info for free....

• 1 year later...