Grog goodness in print

Had to put my car in the shop today, but made good use of the delay to visit several local hobby shops.

There, I got peruse some new (to me at least) references.

Concord has a wonderful new one called

PANZERS IN THE GUNSIGHT and covers American pictures of captured and destroyed AFVs in the ETO, many of which I hadn't seen before. Particularly interesting are several of Pz IVs literally shattered (face hardened armor failed, huge stress cracks run for feet) by artillery direct hits. Has everything from Bulge King Tigers to Hetzers found at the manufacturer and much else. A Sturmtiger series shows what appears to be two HVAP holes in the rear of one. The vehicle plates will make the mod sluts drool, and there are lots of great Jagdtiger shots, too, as well as coverage on some of the Alkett conversions

to French chasses.

Osprey has a pub each on American and British ATGs of WW II. Didn't have time for the latter, but the former was most impressive, with stunning graphics (2 page spread on the U.S. 37mm gun M6), insightful text, and some devastating images evoking the heavy casualties in the 3-inch towed TDs. In one, the gun is missing one entire side of the shield--StuG direct hit. The pictures cover lots of stuff seldom seen and illustrate how the U.S. built a towed antiarmor defense with ATGs, bazookas, and .50 cal. MGs. A real surprise was to learn of a dedicated towing vehicle- the M-39, I'd never heard of before. The 57's in there, too, but I didn't tarry, there being so much to see in the store. If the British volume is as good as this one, then it's a must read.

Regards,

John Kettler

Speaking of Osprey, last month I got their new volume on Normandy fortifications. Very informative and nicely illustrated. There was a lot of stuff I hadn't read before, but I have the feeling there is yet more out there. Anyone thinking of doing some D-Day scenarios might want to look into this one.

Michael