How to install new video drivers??

Up until now I've just been installing new video drivers by downloading them from Nvidia's website and just running the .exe file. Should I be 'uninstalling' the old drivers first or does this .exe file automatically handle the whole process correctly? I read here something about 'making sure the old drivers are fully deleted before installing new drivers' or something like that.

In case it matters, I've got a Geforce 3 on WinXP. And, I'm getting tired of this game constantly freezing on me.

adam

Uninstalling previous drivers is a good idea, but not absolutely necessary most of the time. I'd definitely suggest it if you're moving from one series (4x.xx to 5x.xx for example) since there can be a number of changes and the new driver doesn't actually 'remove' the previous driver, but overwrites it and puts in its own changes.

If you're experiencing problems, then I'd suggest removing all of your installed video drivers (there might be more than one driver listed in the Add/Remove Programs control panel). Go back to whatever default Windows offers you (VGASave, SVGA, default GeForce - for GeForce 2 and older, etc.). If you're installing one of the latest drivers, make sure you have the latest version of DirectX installed too (9.0b).

During any install or uninstall, you may want to disable your anti-virus programs and 'kill' any other program/utility that is running in the background, just to reduce any possible interference that they may cause.