problematic PIATs

I believe I read that a German shreck could be produced in 10 man hours or so. Most small shops could manufacture them so there was no precision machining going on.

I think in 42 the PIAT certainly was a good weapon to replace the Boys ATR. But by 44, the well developed US bazooka with its improved ammunition was a much better choice for infantrymen especially. The weight alone is a deal maker to me. Its an easier weapon to train on and had to be more accurate than the PIAT simply from the comparison of the length of travel the projectiles take. The PIAT bomb basically was guided by the short length of rod that comes out into the trough. The bazooka had the full length of pipe to accelerate into.

Perhaps the PIAT should have been relegated to armored troops and engineers that specialized in house to house fighting.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mr. Tittles:

I believe I read that a German shreck could be produced in 10 man hours or so. Most small shops could manufacture them so there was no precision machining going on.

I think in 42 the PIAT certainly was a good weapon to replace the Boys ATR. But by 44, the well developed US bazooka with its improved ammunition was a much better choice for infantrymen especially. The weight alone is a deal maker to me. Its an easier weapon to train on and had to be more accurate than the PIAT simply from the comparison of the length of travel the projectiles take. The PIAT bomb basically was guided by the short length of rod that comes out into the trough. The bazooka had the full length of pipe to accelerate into.

Perhaps the PIAT should have been relegated to armored troops and engineers that specialized in house to house fighting.

Wasn't the 2 inch mortar much better for that purpose? AISTR you could fire it from one house to the next.