Snipers supporting infantry assaults.

In "Death of the Leaping Horseman" (Jason Mark) about the 24 th Panzer Division at Stalingrad, it is stated that:

"There was a lack of telescopic signts and sniper rifles in the division. When they were available they were put to good use and it was noted many times that when camouflaged snipers covered the advance of the rifleman, picking off any enemy soldier who showed himself, casualities amongst 24 Panzer Divisions infantry were reduced."

In addition to this, I once read an article about a marine sniper group (sniper and spotter) on Iwo Jima who were used to take out a concrete pill box by firing through the external opening at a distance of 500 yards and killing the gunner and loader.

My question is, how effective could snipers be in supporting infantry assaults?

Well you can support an infantry assault both ways : either you pour random, heavy fire on the whole position (which kills or wounds everyone not properly covered) or you can carefully put a bullet through every helmet poking out of said cover.

Both get the job done in the same way (though maybe snipers would take longer to do it - after all, the fear spread by a wall of machine gun fire is instantaneous, while the fear of a sniper I think would take more time to settle)

Originally posted by flamingknives:

In CM terms, Sharpshooters are very good at pinning the enemy, meaning they cannot shoot back.

Michael, what on earth is this Forum recipe document? Inquiring mind wants to know. I see some very familiar names and some really, really strange food there, and I don't get it.

Cheerio

Dandelion

• 2 weeks later...

U generally know where the mg is when it opens up.... a sniper is a **** in a suit lol.

what do u prefer

`perkins` wheres that mg fire commin from

or

Hey `perkins` have alook out that window for that sniper that blew LT dans head across the wall.