Rock mods / Sangar mod?

ropey

Found this in the Encarta dictionary:

sang·ar [ sángər, súngər ] (plural sang·ars)

defensive earthwork around hollow: a small low temporary defensive work (breastwork), usually built of stone around an existing hollow in the ground

[Mid-19th century. From Persian and Pashto, of uncertain origin: probably formed from Persian sang “stone.”]

I think I get the idea of what it is you mean. Basically you want the sandbag graphic to be made out of stone or earth instead of bags, yes?

Edit: You do know we modders (or is that us modders?)have to stick to the existing 3D model, don't you?

BTW, Ropey, if you're interested, there are screenshots of my existing sandbag mod in the link below if you haven't seen them.

[ October 27, 2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Juju ]

Paul, hedges have some awful stretching issues which change depending on whether the model is situated on flat ground or any kind of slope. That's the main reason why I haven't made any hedge mods.

The wall has the same kind of stretching, but I managed to get away with that on account of the small stone size. You'd notice he stretching immediately were they sandbags, I'm afraid.

Sorry, I should have explained. In Italy (and Greece and the desert) it was often impossible to dig foxholes or trenches because the ground was too hard. Rocks were stacked up instead to form defensive positions.

I was wondering whether anyone had modded the sandbags to make (large) sangars. For that matter could the foxholes also be modded to look rocky?

If someone would like to host them I have several pics of sangars of various sizes, from personal to support weapon pits.

There's a nifty little site called Image Shack that does (for the moment) free web hosting of images. I've been using it for posting images on this forum and it is very easy to use and quite useful. You might want to take a look, set up a free account, post a few photographs, and then link them back to this board.

The address you should take a look at is:

http://imageshack.us/index2.php

It's a little disconcerting at first, but once you get the hang of it it's really quite efficient.

Originally posted by ropey:

For that matter could the foxholes also be modded to look rocky?

Possibly. I'm not sure without knowing exactly what you mean. Take Philippe's advice and then post some photos. I may take a shot at it. Those Sangars sound interesing.

Here are some examples of sangars, both old and modern:

From the origins, in India:

Royal Scots Fusiliers, an outpost in Sangar, Tirah 1897

In Falklands/Malvinas:

MtLongdonSangarA.jpg Mount Longdon Sangar

One of many sangars still on Mount Longdon. Most showed

signs of habitation and were strewn with rubbish

ViewfromsangarMt%20LongdonA.jpg View from sangar Mount Longdon

This is looking down a gully on Mount Longdon. The sangar had the debris

(links and cases) from a machine gun that had been fired from the sangar.

After The Battle A photographic collection of the Falkland Battle fields and Memorials

And back to Afganistan:

sappers01.jpg Sappers from 59 Cdo Sqn RoyalEngineers search a Taliban bunker.

sappers02.jpg Preparations are made to demolish the position.

Photo Gallery Op Veritas

and Iraq:

Pack Mules, Pickets, and Sangars: Mountain Warfare Methods of the Iraqi Army

BTW, usually the stone fortifications are abhorred by standing doctrine. The reason is because arty shells and rifle shots will cause the stones to splinter, making a sort of shrapnel from them. Of course, when you can´t dig, better the stones than nothing.

Hmmm. Looking at these pictures I don't think I'd be able to do anything that'd even come close to looking convincing. The only thing I could do is change the bags to stone, but then it'd simply look exactly like a stone wall, be it in a square. Give me a bit to think this one over.

• 4 weeks later...

I erased the center of the CMAK NA rocky bmp and pasted it over Juju's crater then a second paste rotated 90 degrees. Not 3D but an interesting foxhole. As a crater, not so hot.

Looking at more pics in other locales, I think I might try Gautrek's light color crater with the rocks for desert battles.

For those who forgot, alt + 1 through 4 (the numbers above qwert on the keyboard, and not the F keys) to place craters, alt + 5 to exit. Foxholes (size 4) appear when parameters set to dug in and battle is an attack.

[ November 26, 2004, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: junk2drive ]

Gautrek's bmp 1210 crater with CMAK rock looks the best for a foxhole scraped from hard terrain and numbered 1209. The foxhole shares the bmp 1209 with huge crater. You have to decide if a bomb would not make a hole in the ground in hard terrain. Gautrek's 1210 crater is open in the center.

BTW Gautrek's mod is a mod of Juju's mod.