Danish military language grog needed

Hans

Yes, it says "Tipvognsspærring".

Spærring is a block, presumably on a road or rail line in this case.

Tipvogn is a railcar or truck that you empty by tipping it - it could be a railcar used for carrying gravel, ore or similar stuff that you empty by tipping it sidewise.

My guess is that it refers to the block(s) on the railline.

Hans, what are you using this map for? It looks suspiciously like April 9th 1940, but there wasn't much fighting in Denmark then and I don't remember if there was any fighting in Haderslev.

Thanks Robert

I think you might be right on that word another text source talks about "tipping wagons". Yes it is 9 April, 1940. Haderslev was the biggest (and best documented of the many clashes) of the German vs Danish, it will be a "Small Battle indeed".

Being part Danish I find I must do it, its a Danish thing!

There's another big Danish challenge, that may in fact have been done by others and also has - I guess - a similar Norwegian story: Frikorps Danmark. They have an interesting story, documented in several books. I just gave back one I had borrowed. Let me see if I can remember the grand lines (sorry, can't resist smile.gif )

They were committed as a battalion at Demjansk in summer 42, were pulled out a couple of months later after heavy losses (and commendable behaviour), committed again in the winter southwest of Moscow somewhere, pulled back again after some months and were then disbanded and reformed into Regiment Nordland.

They were all SS volunteers, but initially volunteered with the approval of the Danish government. That changed as the war progressed, and in the end a good deal of the survivors were jailed, using a law implemented after the war, but with effect backwards in time. The judicial decisions made by the Danes after the war were ugly indeed. They even reinstituted the death sentence (for crimes committed before the law was implemented).

It was interesting to read about the level of education these guys got. They were SS, that may have had an efect on this, but in the period before being committed in the winter of 42/43 they had extensive training in how to survive the Russian winter (according to the book I read recently). I guess the Germans had a healthy respect for the Russian winter after 41.

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

There's another big Danish challenge, that may in fact have been done by others and also has - I guess - a similar Norwegian story: Frikorps Danmark. They have an interesting story, documented in several books. I just gave back one I had borrowed. Let me see if I can remember the grand lines (sorry, can't resist smile.gif )

They were committed as a battalion at Demjansk in summer 42, were pulled out a couple of months later after heavy losses (and commendable behaviour), committed again in the winter southwest of Moscow somewhere, pulled back again after some months and were then disbanded and reformed into Regiment Nordland.

They were all SS volunteers, but initially volunteered with the approval of the Danish government. That changed as the war progressed, and in the end a good deal of the survivors were jailed, using a law implemented after the war, but with effect backwards in time. The judicial decisions made by the Danes after the war were ugly indeed. They even reinstituted the death sentence (for crimes committed before the law was implemented).

It was interesting to read about the level of education these guys got. They were SS, that may have had an efect on this, but in the period before being committed in the winter of 42/43 they had extensive training in how to survive the Russian winter (according to the book I read recently). I guess the Germans had a healthy respect for the Russian winter after 41.

Yes it was an interesting side note to history. I read a long time ago that one of the Danish survivors, who returned from the Soviet Union in 1954 later joined the French Foreign legion? Not sure if that was true or not.

• 2 weeks later...

The Frikorps Danmark was organized as a motorized infantry battalion, and was originally intended to be part of the SS Div "Wiking", but ended up supporting SS Div "Totenkopf" in the Demjansk pocket. Later on, the Frikorps was disbanded, and the personnel scattered among other units. Quite a few of them ended up in SS Div "Nordland". This division was partially staffed by Scandinavians, and included an inf rgt "Dänemark", commanded by Per Sørensen, a former Frikorps officer. They fought alongside Army Group North in the Baltic states, and eventually ended up defending Berlin in 1945.

Danish Military language grog you say... very well.

Sir, we have the following Danishes available:

Danish, 2.5oz, Almond, 280 cals, 16g fat

Danish, 2.5oz, Apple, 265 cals, 13g fat

Danish, 2.5oz, Cheese, 265 cals, 16g fat

Danish, 2.5oz, Cinnamon, 260 cals, 15g fat

Danish, 2.5oz, Coffee, 220 cals, 6g fat

Danish, 2.5oz, Plain, 220 cals, 12g fat

Danish, 2.5oz, Raisin, 265 cals, 13g fat

Danish, 2.5oz, Raspberry, 260 cals, 12g fat

Danish, 2.5oz, Strawberry, 260 cals, 12g fat

Sit, that is all, Sir.