Got it! But it's SLLLLOOOOOOOoooooow. :)

Gpig

Awesome! Just a few niggly things with my rig and CM:BB.

It drops frames during movie playback. It "chunks" along while moving the camera (with mouse, or keyboard). Not smooth like in the Demo.

I guess it's overall just a smidge "slow."

I'm using a mac G4.

Any tips for speeding up the game?

Mucho appreciato!

smile.gif

Gpig

P.S. LOVE the game!

I'm using OS 9.0.4 with a ATI Rage 3D accelerator (I think).

It's a G4 Mac. 400 MHz

I did a restart and it was a bit better.

I increased the "preferred" memory for the application and that seemed to help a smidge, as well.

It is still a bit slow, however.

There are lags for certain camera movements and actions.

When using the mouse and keyboard to adjust the camera, it moves in big chunks. I often find myself overshooting my location due to camera "lag."

Also, there is a delay of about a second when deleting waypoints. Select waypoint. Delete. Then wait a second for the waypoint to disappear.

Any OTHER tips on how to speed up the game?

THanks,

Gpig

Assuming your Rage 3D is built in, I'd suggest purchasing a new Radeon card. You probably have 8Mb of VRAM for your video card, which should work OK, but it's slightly on the slim side for CMBB.

I assume your Mac has an AGP slot, if not then a PCI version of the card should be available. A Radeon 7000 should be at a decent price (around US$100 for the Mac version). If you can spend some more cash, then the faster Radeons would be an improvement too.

Moving with the mouse will pan the terrain in a more jerky manner than using the 'buttons' since I beleive the screen will make bigger jumps between rendered frames.

I'm not sure how large of a memory partition is optimal for CMBB. You'll probably want it significantly larger than CMBO's. I'm not sure what other virtual memory settings may be beneficial here too. How much memory do you have in your system ?

Hmmm.

Turns out I DO have a built 3D card and it is 16mb of VRAM, not 8Mb.

I have 194Mb of memory. (with another 194 virtual memory.)

Shouldn't this be more than enough to give me a smooth running game? It's beginning to get a little frustrating.

Thanks,

Jon

First of all, your computer doesn't completly fit the specs for the game to run smoothly, so there is not much you can do.

You've got the earliest G4 out there. I've got a G3 350mhz which is almost 4 years old. Actually your G4 isn't a "real" G4. It took Apple a few months to correct this problem. How do I know this? I took the witness stand against Apple in small claims court and my client won. Apple loves to rush product to the market (what company doesn't), and decided to install G4 chips into G3 platforms. What you've probably got is one of these puppies.

What you could try is creating an extension set just for playing the game and giving that a try.

Another thing is upgrading to 9.1....that could help as well.

Huh! Interesting!

Thanks Hoop!

Now, you said "create an extension just for playing the game."

I guess I'll look up how to do that. (Unless you're feeling long-of-wind at the moment.) ;)

Also, I'll upgrade my OS (if you think that'll really help.)

Thanks again!

Gpig

Have you ever played with the extension manager? Go into the manager and tell me how many extensions you have. I have around 230 extensions, a lot of them are different drivers for printers and such. You now have to start or create a new extension set. Within the extension manager turn off all of the extensions you don't need to play CMBB ( sorry don't know which ones you'll need, obviously anything that says ATI you keep)

How did the demo run on your system?

Luckily you do have some great expansion slots on your tower. A radeon 8500 is probably your best bet ( not sure of the price). If you are a serious CM player go for the new video card if not don't bother spending money and try and speed up your system using some of the suggestions above.

I'll help ANY mac user with their problems.

Now if only my game would come I'd be a much happier camper. :(