San Michele

Kingfish

In the early morning hours of July 29th units of the New Zealand 24th Battalion began a slow climb up the ridge north of the Battalion's forward position at Castellare. It's objective was the village of San Michele, a small cluster of buildings situated along the road that runs up to point 261, part of the New Zealand 6th brigade’s preliminary objective.

Following a brief firefight the Kiwis overran the few defenders and dug-in, waiting for first light and the remainder of the brigade. However, when dawn broke the first to come calling were not New Zealanders, but the tough veterans from the German 29th Panzergrenadier division.

The daylong battle for San Michele was about to begin.

Available now at The Proving Grounds

Great scenario.

I liked the space on the map and the long advance before the attack adds to the suspence.

I do not have much experience and this scenario made me wonder about techniques of advancing under fire.

The first fase no problem: move to contact. But after that the distance is still too large to use advance, so I used mostly just move. There is decent cover/conceilment in this scenario, so it was not too deadly, but I felt there should be something between move and advance, as the manual says that moving units don't expect to be fired on.

Use move when no contact is expected, move to contact when you're not quite sure, and advance in short hops to work your way up to attack position. Attacking trenches, foxholes or fortified positions should be done with the assault command. The last 2 commands should always be done with plenty of firepower in overwatch.

BTW, an updated version has been uploaded to TPG. This change only affects games being played against the Allied AI.

Kingfish

Thank you very much - an excellent scenario with an excellent map - a very realistic feel to it.

I played this as Axis vs AI with default deployment and the computer experience cranked up one notch. I would really recommend this one to all.

I just scraped a minor victory after a few nasty surprises.

One question

Possible Spoiler

Are there automatic ceasefire conditions? I was dropped out of the game with a ceasefire at about turn 40. Unless I inadvertently hit the ceasefire button at some point I was perplexed by this. I did return to a game save for turn 29 but got same result.