00005003.wav probelms for new XP user

I just bought a new XP laptop (a screaming one) after 17 years of Mac use (sold my G4). Fortunately one of my favourite games (CMBO) came on a cross-platform disc (thank you Battlefront and also Blizzard).

I can't get the "00005003.wav" file to install correctly from my CD. It errors out. Even just copying the files all over into a new directory on my laptop doesn't work. The above .wav file won't copy.

Matt, et al. Should I just email the disc back for replacement (it's clean and unscratched) or is the above .wav file available for download somehwre (assuming the copying the files from CD works on Windows ... 17 years of Mac expereinece doesn't help me installing stuff).

Regards,

David Janik-Jones

If you attempt to copy just that file alone do you still get the error ? Is your laptop drive a DVD ? Do you know if there are any firmware updates for it (check the manufacturer's website - though it may be rare for laptop CD/DVD drives to have firmware updates) ?

Did you buy the CMBO disk from BFC (internet) ? How old is the disk (i.e. - when did you purchase it) ? Do you have other data CDs that you can attempt to copy in whole to your hard drive to test out your CD/DVD drive (preferably a CD that has almost 650Mb and large files on it) ? It would be interesting to see if your drive has any problems copying large files from certain parts of a CD.

But your hunch may be right. There were some manufacturing problems with some early CMBB disks (but not CMBO to my knowledge) that exhibited problems on certain drives (and possibly not other drives - it seems certain drives were a bit more sensitive to manufacturing anomalies than others).

The specific .wav file won't even copy normally. I'm going to try an install on my work machine then see if I can move the file ver the network to my laptop (the new one). Then delete my work install of course. Does copying everything into a new directory actually work as an install?

Thanks for the help.

David

Basically the directory structures on the CMBO disc allow you to play CMBO directly from the CD. Copying that directory structure along with all of the files would be considered another 'installation'. The installer program on the CD is just a convenience (and it creates the shortcuts for the game - something you can easily do yourself).

Copying the file on another computer (assuming the drive on it can read the disc) and then moving it over the network is probably your best bet.

Nope. I can't even copy the file off the CD. The disk is, now that I really look at it, kinda scrathed up a bit with wear and one of the markings ont eh CD may be the problem. I may wind up emailing Battlefront directly and ask about the cost of a replacement if I can't find the 5003.wav file.

Thanks,

David Janik-Jones