Black faces

Originally posted by Hans:

The Germans also had several thousand Arabs in uniform. One Unit the 845th Battalion fought in Russia, Greece, Yugoslavia and remnants fought to the death in Berlin.

They even had a British SS unit. On paper it was a division, but never actually numbered more than a couple of hundred men, and was never actually used. It was comprised of PoW´s who were suspected of having Fascist tendencies and who would be sounded out by German agents posing as fellow PoW´s inserted to the camps by the SS. They wore a tiny Union Jack below their SS "lightning strikes" but other than that wore the standard SS garb. I´ll be buggered if I can remember the name of the unit - I´ll try and remember to look it up at some point! Most known memebers were hung after the war ended at Nuremburg or after repatriation to Blighty.