Mac PBEM problem, continued...

OK, so far I have upped the memory, which seems to have helped a bit in switching from the game to the desktop and back, but it didn't help with the PBEM. When I hit ok after entering my password, it crashes to desktop.

Next I tried starting a PBEM and playing myself. I didn't e-mail the file, I just opened it right out of the PBEM directory. This allowed me to continue the game, except I no longer had a visible cursor. I could select things, but I had no idea where the cursor was at any time. One problem at a time, I decided.

Next I tried e-mailing a file to myself. This caused the original problem to occur - quit on password entry.

So next when I get the chance I will try using stuffit before I mail the file and see what happens.

(Incidentally, I did find out that I can TCP/IP play without any problem)

I'm using an upgraded PowerComputing clone running 9.0.4 (which is basically as high as it can go - I've heard of people running 9.1, but it wouldn't install on my machine.)

I'm using an old Kensington 2 button trackball, just using the mac to run it, since the new Kensington drivers don't really offer anything for it that the Mac doesn't (I don't know whre the original drivers are). I've never been able to get the second button to act more than just a "locked" click. If you press it the mouse will draw selections around things, but it really won't do anything else.

Which PowerComputing Mac do you have ? What did you upgrade your PowerComputing Mac with, a CPU ? Does it load any extensions, etc. to enable the upgrade ?

If you're just using the Mac drivers, then I wouldn't necessarily suspect the mouse as the cause of the 'disappearing cursor'.

What video card do you have (or is built-in) ? If it is an ATI based video card, you may want to make sure that you have the OpenGL 1.2.1 extension loaded up. I think OS 9.0.4 has some of the latest ATI Rage drivers, but I'm not sure on that.

I'm using a PowerCenter Pro desktop upgraded with a Powerlogix G3/350. The only associated piece of software I know of is the cache profiler. I'm using a Voodoo3.

Still have to try the compression test - will do that later this evening.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Teggy ]</p>

OK, here are all the things I tried tonight:

Disabled backside cache as mentioned in the trouble shooting section.

Disabled backside cache control extension.

Turned off virtual memory.

Tried compressing the PBEM file.

Still no luck. Error is either of type 1 or 2 when the quit occurs (and I did assign more memory to the program as suggested yesterday).

Arrgh, so frustrating. Has no one else had this problem?

What email provider are you using?

does your email client do some sort of compression that could be causing it? AOL used to (may still, I dont use it any more) cause all sorts of problems with attachments due to the way they encoded them.

just some thoughts.. hopefully this can get figured out

best,

dave

When you emailed the PBEM file to yourself (without compression) you got the same error as the PBEM sent by your opponent. Did you get the same error when you compressed the PBEM file and sent that to yourself ?

As for the cursor problem, do you know what version of the Voodoo drivers you are using ? The user Baboon2 used to be a Mac RAVE developer/QA with 3dfx before they shut down. A post several days ago was looking for a driver and supposedly found one. A newer driver may help with the disappearing cursor.

I can try to send you a PBEM setup tonight and see if you have problems with that file (it will be zip compressed).

Yes, I mailed the one to myself in zip format. Same error.

I do have the alpha rave driver - that was probably my post you saw smile.gif I did get in contact with Ray a week ago and he gave me the updated driver.

One thing I realized at work today is that I was just assuming that I had the most recent OpenGL files, but in fact I don't think I do. But I am using a Voodoo3, sould that even matter? I will update them regardless.

Sure, you can e-mail me at teg1@cornell.edu. It's worth a try just for comparison sake. I probably can't get to it until tomorrow morning, though.

Thanks a load for your patience with this...

The OpenGL update was necessary for the ATI Rage 128 series video chips on newer Macs. For some reason the white text in CM (info boxes) went black with the OpenGL versions before 1.2.1. Since CM is a RAVE game I'm not sure why an OpenGL update would have any effect on it, but it does. I'm not sure of the applicability to a Voodoo 3, but it may be worth updating if you have an older version.

The CM 1.12 patch for the Mac has OpenGL 1.2.1 included with it. I believe 1.2.2 is out now, but I doubt that it makes any more of a difference.

It's strange that you would have a problem with a compressed PBEM file that you've sent to yourself. So basically anything you get from email won't work in CM. What program are you using for your email (edit: uh... reread above, you've got Eudora - what version ?) and what is the encoding type that you're using ?

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

OK, a possible breakthrough! But it will require more testing.

First, I updated OpenGL, although I don't believe it had anything to do with it, because the first test after the update failed like all the others.

Then, as much as I hated doing it, I tried sending a file to myself with Outlook Express instead of Eudora (5.1, by the way). It wasn't zipped, just plain text, and sure enough, it worked.

The thing that baffles me, though, is how if Eudora is indeed the culprit, how it could corrupt a file that's been zipped? Seems kind of unlikely, but if it's a matter of getting PBEM to work, I'll believe anything.

Schrullenhaft , would you mind re-sending the file you sent yesterday, so this time I can download it using Outlook Express and see what happens?

thanks...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Teggy:

OK, a possible breakthrough! But it will require more testing.

First, I updated OpenGL, although I don't believe it had anything to do with it, because the first test after the update failed like all the others.

Then, as much as I hated doing it, I tried sending a file to myself with Outlook Express instead of Eudora (5.1, by the way). It wasn't zipped, just plain text, and sure enough, it worked.

The thing that baffles me, though, is how if Eudora is indeed the culprit, how it could corrupt a file that's been zipped? Seems kind of unlikely, but if it's a matter of getting PBEM to work, I'll believe anything.

Schrullenhaft , would you mind re-sending the file you sent yesterday, so this time I can download it using Outlook Express and see what happens?

thanks...<hr></blockquote>

If there is any decompression software in the "decompress chain" that is "translating linefeeds" (i.e. translating end of line characters to be mac end of line characters) then it will seriously destroy the uncompressed file.

Check all your prefs in Eudora AND in Stuffit Expander to see if either have "translate linefeeds" on. Make sure they are off, then try again. Outlook may be telling the stuffit engine to not translate linefeeds ever, causing it to work, or Eudora may be telling the stuffit engine to translate when it should not. That would explain why one works and the other does not.

hm...checked both Eudora and Stuffit Expander on my work computer and neither seem to have that line feed option. In the meantime, I had one opponent resend his files and I'll check them when I get home. Turns out he uses Outlook Express for Mac, so it should be compatible.

Ideally, I would like it to work using Eudora, but I guess it would be ok if I had to switch to Outlook as it has most of the same features.