Fire Reference Point - Def of Trig 29

Newbie question alert:

I am playing the Axis against the AI in this scenario. I put one of my arty fire reference points on a nice position. I targeted my first fire mission there .... but I can't relocate the fire now. I have thoroughly pounded the position and would like to switch to those nasty guns that have taken out almost all my armor. But I have no ability to do that. When I click on the F.O., I am only able to access move orders. I didn't see anything in the rules or the briefing about this situation regarding inability to shift fire from reference points. Is this a bug or by design, or maybe something about reference points that I may have missed in my reading of the pdf manual, or something completely different? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

Newbie question alert:

I am playing the Axis against the AI in this scenario. I put one of my arty fire reference points on a nice position. I targeted my first fire mission there .... but I can't relocate the fire now. I have thoroughly pounded the position and would like to switch to those nasty guns that have taken out almost all my armor. But I have no ability to do that. When I click on the F.O., I am only able to access move orders. I didn't see anything in the rules or the briefing about this situation regarding inability to shift fire from reference points. Is this a bug or by design, or maybe something about reference points that I may have missed in my reading of the pdf manual, or something completely different? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

If you gave the fire order in the pre-game setup, you are not allowed to move it during play. This represents a pre-planned barrage.

Did you call down the fire in the very first orders phase? That would explain it.

Yes, I did it in the first turn - first orders phase (not during setup phase). I gather that you have to avoid plotting on the reference point on the first turn to avoid this? If I hold off the first turn, but hit it on the second or a subsequent turn can I then move off the reference point?

Thanks for the quick response.

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

Yes, I did it in the first turn - first orders phase (not during setup phase). I gather that you have to avoid plotting on the reference point on the first turn to avoid this? If I hold off the first turn, but hit it on the second or a subsequent turn can I then move off the reference point?

Thanks for the quick response.

The reference point is irrelevant in this case - a bit of a red herring. Regardless of whether or not the TRP is used, if you call in the fire in the very first turn, you cannot adjust it after. A warning should come up to this effect, actually, when you move the targetting line - it will say "Cannot be adjusted later" or something like that.

If fire is plotted in any subsequent turn, with or without a reference point, it can indeed be adjusted.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

A warning should come up to this effect, actually, when you move the targetting line - it will say "Cannot be adjusted later" or something like that.

Even better, if plotting arty on the first turn, an options box should pop up that asks, "Is this a preplanned mission Y/N?" If you choose 'yes', then you get the accuracy and no-delay bonus. If 'no', then you can adjust or cancel in a subsequent turn without losing the module.

The reason I advocate this is that sometimes I want to start the clock ticking on a mission without having to wait for the second turn, but I don't want to be nailed to a rigid preplanned mission. This can be especially critical in a short game of 20 or fewer turns.

Michael