Panzerfaust - need assistance

I am trying to find information on how a dense material such as sand will be much less effective in stopping a panzerfaust round than spaced armor, and might actually be effective in assisting the round through focusing more energy into the main armor.

I would prefer a primary source rather than an explanation. Can anyone assist? I know this might be more appropriate in the CMBB forum, but I thought I would ask.

Cheers,

-Scorp

Although there are people on this board who I suspect would be fully capable of explaining both the data, the theory, AND the tactical deployement of the Panzerfaust, or the shape charge concept for that matter, Here is an interesting stater that you may already know about...

HTH

Best.

Thanks, I have read that site. I am familiar with Herr Hoffbauer's work, and it is quite impressive. However, I have pulled up an old thread here (which I can't find at the moment) which indicated a general agreement that the way in which shaped charge weapons worked was affected by dense material between the standoff point of activation and the target armor in such a way that it could actually increase the penetration of said armor.

I am VERY interested in learning more about this, and M. Hoffbauer's site seems to indicate the opposite.

Disclaimer: I'm not a grog, this is from memory, orignially from a swedish army book on shaped charges.

The jet will disperse in air. Liquids (for example diesel fuel) will interfere with the jet stream, "falling into" the jet stream breaking it up. Ceramics does the same, interfering with the stream (thus layered armor, Chobham etc). Ceramics are of course very hard, so they're good for blunting KE projectiles as well, but that's another story and post WW2...

Being surrounded by homogenous steel is just what the stream needs to keep it's focus and keep on burning a hole in a straight line.

/SirReal

Questions like this will have answers depending on the individual warhead. How exactly HEAT reacts to different standoff distances and different material is highly depended on warhead details.

This is why you need to head over to forums where people have access to data from actual firing trials.

Like I told you, if you used a crappy headline like in the CMBB forum it's no wonder.

You need to do something fancy like "Sand compared to air as a standoff against HEAT?" and not just "panzerfaust".

Or try "Marines suck, but does sand as a standoff for HEAT suck, too?". That'll do the responses trick.