Why i don't like CAS, one screenie inside.

Monty

Its the scenario Barkmann's Corner, if you dont want to know , skip next text and look only to the picture.

Spoiler alert

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

Here is the result of one strike of my "friendly" P47 :

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

ak018.jpg

Over 50 casualties, and i had more after another pass later....

I know, its best to play it as axis, i allready did but i wanted to try it as allied.

More spoiler

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

My Shermans killed the Panther ( the Panther moved without being attacked, he got several flank hits and a few zook hits hehe ), after that the P47 thought: I HAVE to drop my eggs somewhere.....lemme see......ah...those black dots look German enough....BOMBS AWAY !!!!

;)

Monty

Monty

[ January 02, 2004, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Monty ]

Monty,

I can say that as far as CAS goes, it is not best to play the Axis.

As the Germans on the recieving end in 'The Creek', the spitfire as been legendary. Every pass always results in dead armour. Armour which is not out in the open, but sitting for example inbetween the trees, on the road hard up against the church etc.

In this scenario that I have played many times, I have never seen the CAS fail, every pass has always resulted in dead armour, always.

I question the ability of the CAS to firstly spot the targets, and then to nail them.

Originally posted by Blah Blah Blah:

I question the ability of the CAS to firstly spot the targets, and then to nail them.

Oh, they'll spot you alright. The real question is will they 'identify' you. Think of it from the aircrew perspective:

'Are those Allied troops advancing or German troops retiring?'

Well I don't even think that the thought process gets that far. They just see a 'target' then they attack it. They are like Felix Domesticus: they pounce.

Am I the only person who saw the footage of Jon Simpson (UK journo - liberator of Kabul & man about town) being bombed by US Air in the latest Gulf War?

Military aircraft in war are like Greek Gods in myth. Powerful and yet utterly capricious. Indeed given the scale of most CM maps it would perhaps have been best, and no doubt more realistic, if they had been left out of the game altogether. As things stand I think that CM Air is frighteningly, perhaps ahistorically effective. They almost always get within 1000m of their intended target. Not bad going in those pre-GPS/FLIR etc days...

I don't know if any of you have ever played the game IL-2 Sturmovik - or IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles - (I know its silly comparing a game to real life, but this WW2 plane simulator is frighteningly realistic), but in that game, it is rather easy spotting ground targets in wooded areas and cities, as long as you're up in the air and not crashing into said wooded area. Granted, tanks are tough eggs to crack without 37mm to the rear or top or a 500 KG bomb up the tailpipe, I must admit they're not incredibly difficult to spot, even with camo.

Originally posted by Red October:

I don't know if any of you have ever played the game IL-2 Sturmovik - or IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles - (I know its silly comparing a game to real life, but this WW2 plane simulator is frighteningly realistic), but in that game, it is rather easy spotting ground targets in wooded areas and cities, as long as you're up in the air and not crashing into said wooded area. Granted, tanks are tough eggs to crack without 37mm to the rear or top or a 500 KG bomb up the tailpipe, I must admit they're not incredibly difficult to spot, even with camo.

I would suggest that you compare real world accounts of the spottability and/or identifiability of "ground targets in wooded areas and cities" before drawing any conclusions about IL-2's "realism" in this regard, *especially if the ground targets in question are not moving and camoflaged.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Red October:

I would suggest that you compare real world accounts of the spottability and/or identifiability of "ground targets in wooded areas and cities" before drawing any conclusions about IL-2's "realism" in this regard, *especially if the ground targets in question are not moving and camoflaged.

Cheers,

YD </font>

I have IL-2 too, and groundtargets are easy to see yes, but its NOT easy to see if they are Russian or German ( at least not when you have icons off ;) )

In the scenario above, the target whas the Panther for the P47.

After the Panther was killed, imho the P47 should have gone away for other juicy targets, but he stayed to bomb infantery what is not his normal target i think.

Probably that is not easy to code, maybe and im shure in next CM version we will see improvement in this matter.

Monty