Problem with monitor with CM, can anybody help?

Ok here is the deal, I have had CM for 2 or so years now. Just recently I have been moding all of my winter vehicles to better fit the BOB mod by Tom. Since last week until now, when I go from CM (either close CM or hit escape). My monitor has a blackish verticle line going from left to right continuously. Like the frequency range is screwed up or something. The only way I have managed to get rid of the line is to restart.

CM and RTCW are the only games I have that do this, none of my other games cause this to happen.

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of this?

Its really anoying to try to work on mods in photoshop 6.0 with that damn black line constantly moving across the screen.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

What video card do you have ? I've heard of other strange monitor phenomena with CM. It's possible that you're card is somehow 'freaking out' in the 2D screen after loading up such high res textures in CM.

Vodoo 5 AGP

If it could possibly be the vid card, why has it never done this for almost 2 years, and now it goes wacky?

The Voodoo 5 was the card that I had heard has this problem. People previously described a 'black bar' on the screen after playing CM. I assume that you're using both chips on your card. Since the Voodoo 5500 uses two chips, each with their own video memory, the actual image on the monitor is a composite of both sets of video memory. Somehow CM (with a lot of high-res textures) is causing some sort of strange 'unsync'ing' of the video memory.

I can't recall what the exact solution was. I don't know if the latest drivers (1.08.04) help with this issue or not. I'd guess that if you went to 'single chip' mode (which disables FSAA) that you wouldn't see this problem. Of course most users don't want to lose their FSAA.

Originally posted by Shatter:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

What video card do you have ? I've heard of other strange monitor phenomena with CM. It's possible that you're card is somehow 'freaking out' in the 2D screen after loading up such high res textures in CM.

Vodoo 5 AGP

If it could possibly be the vid card, why has it never done this for almost 2 years, and now it goes wacky?</font>

I've had the same problem with "ghosting" and going to an earlier version of directX didn't help.

I contacted my video card manufacturer, and they reccomended sending the card in for warranty repair, after asking me a bunch of questions. I ruled out the monitor by using a different one, and have tried almost every other tweak I can thing of.

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

I've had the same problem with "ghosting" and going to an earlier version of directX didn't help.

I contacted my video card manufacturer, and they reccomended sending the card in for warranty repair, after asking me a bunch of questions. I ruled out the monitor by using a different one, and have tried almost every other tweak I can thing of.

Same here tried older version of DX and tried another monitor also. What is the weird thing is I have been playing CM for close to 2 years now and this problem started only a week or so ago.

I did update my drivers from a third party site about 5 months ago, but was working fine for months with new drivers and now this crap.

I have figured out a sort of temp fix. When I close out of CM, then the crazy line starts scrolling, if I start up MOHAA and close it the line is gone. Or if I just use sinlge chip on my Voodoo 5 the line does not appear when closing out of CM. Although no FSAA really sucks, so I am just starting up MOHAA and closing until I find a fix.

Do you guys think if I grabbed an ME disk from work and installed ME, this would clear up my problem? Luckily my home PC is work and personal use, so I can just tell my boss I need ME at home for some reason I will think of later smile.gif .

[ March 10, 2002, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling CM? The modding might have screwed something?

We have only just got the game in the UK and I havent tried the Mods yet (They are on an extra CD here) so I dont know how much work this would involve for you to remod again.....

If it isnt that hard a task it might be worth a try.

Originally posted by Uglyduck:

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling CM? The modding might have screwed something?

We have only just got the game in the UK and I havent tried the Mods yet (They are on an extra CD here) so I dont know how much work this would involve for you to remod again.....

If it isnt that hard a task it might be worth a try.

Tried this also, I just burned my BMP folder to a CD-R so I would not have to remod after new install. I just had to replace new BMP folder with my new one. Yes I still after fresh install and before I added my burned BMP folder.

Word of advice, if you have not moded CM, you definaltly are missing out. The lastest mods will really make your battlefields come to life.