Question for Modders - WWII British Infantry Division tac markings

Does anyone have any idea of where to go to research the Tactical markings of Second World War infantry battalions, machine gun battalions, and reconnaissance regiments (in infantry divisions)? I don't mean unit signs or divisional markings, but the true tac signs - the yellow squares and diamonds with letters inside - M1, P12, A3, etc.

Surely there has to be at the very least someone out there with a hobby magazine article on the subject of British tac markings? I know there are several sources for the artillery ones and a collector provided me the ones for a signals unit. Would love to find out the infantry and recce ones.

Any help - even a partial listing - would be of value. There are some cartoons in the Toronto Scottish history "Carry On" that are the closest I've come to finding an actual reference but they really don't say much.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Dorosh,

Have you had a gander at BRITISH MILITARY MARKINGS 1939-1945, by Peter Hodges, Almark Publications, 1971? Offhand, it's the only thing I have which has even a prayer of answering your question, and it is full of great information, not just on markings, but such minutia as tank semaphore code. Sadly, this remarkable book is marred by the total absence of any kind of bibliography. While it's clear that he read whatever regs may've applied, he's very careful to point out that he's working from wartime imagery, with all the issues that entails. To really drive home his point, he talks about one tank unit in Cuxhaven which had to be spruced up for the victory parade, but since no suitable paint was to be had, went past the reviewing stand in battleship gray!

Regards,

John Kettler

Michael Dorosh,

If the book's got what you need, and I had no idea there was an updated version, Almark's having long been defunct, then I'm glad. As for the Rosetta Stone gift, you're pretty clever and sharp. Am sure you'll think of something suitable. I'd hang onto that uniformed mannequin, though. Might need it for a high occupancy traffic lane!

Regards,

John Kettler