Whats with the Shermans?

I bought the game but am waiting for it...so I've been playing the demo. Everything was fine...until the mission where you have a bunch of Panzers Vs like 4 Shermans. Somehow...the Shermans managed to wipe all of my Panzers out.

I don't suck at the game because I've beaten the two demo missions as the Americans and Axis...except this mission...I can't beat it as the Axis because my Panzers are virtually innefective against the Shermans.

I think its pretty ridiculous...I mean I had multiple shots where it wouldn't do any damage (ricochet,etc) but they turn..fire...and I'm knocked out.

I seriously hope the full game isn't like that...because its almost useless to play as the Axis when they have Shermans. Also...according to the game...the Shermans have roughly the same type of armor...yet they can take multiple shots to my 1?

Don't get it.

The V from versus.

Fact is that unless you have Tungsten the popgun of the MkIII isn't going to impress a Sherman from the front. Your trading blows against a 75mm weapon with a 50mm weapon, numbers just aren't on your side. Just check the armour and penetration data from each vehicle. Your best bet is to close with the enemy and/or get flank shots. The mission is a toughie but do-able. Once you get the feel for how this mission is done you might even take on the Allies with them at 200%.

Originally posted by TestAmenT:

PANZERS not Panthers.

A "Panzer V" is a "Panther". I read "Panzers Vs" in your first post as "multiple Panthers". Had you written it as "Panzers vs. like 4 Shermans" your point would have been far clearer - though just as wrong ;)

Thanks Elmar for clearing everything up smile.gif

Regards

JonS

P.S. you can win as the Germans, but it takes patience and care. I think it took 3 or 4 goes before I was comfortably thrashing it.

The game IS like that. By that I mean if your gun A has 0% chance of penetrating tank B then tank B won't get penetrated. But there's something like 300 different vehicle type in the game showing up on the dates they showed up during the war, and even ammo types can improve over time. That's where the term 'arms race' comes from! ;)

The biggest challenge (and greatest feeling of accomplishment) for a player is when he's issued inferior equipment and has to rely entirely on cunning to win a battle. Everybody can win with Tigers against Stuarts. The challenging part of the game is when its Stuarts against Tigers!