CMBO freezing during TCP/IP

Bogdan

Hi,

Here is a little problem I've experienced yesterday, during a TCP-IP game.

GAME :

CMBO 1.12 Battlefront version

COMPUTER :

Toshiba Satellite 1900-101

XP Home Edition

SDRAM 256 Mo

Intel Pentium IV 1,6 GHz

ATI Mobility Radeon

+ Norton Firewall 2004 activated

I launched the game from a PBEM file, saved as a battle during an order phase. My opponent connected without any problem, as usual (ports and firewall are configurated) and we started the game smoothly. I have to say that the computer calculations were made on my opponent's computer.

After a few turns (4 or 5 complete turns), at the end of the loading of datas (red process bar), the game simply stopped with a bump sound. I cannot escape from the UI by clicking somewhere and had to Alt-Tab (no other hotkeys worked). The game then stopped completelly with a message box called, IIRC, "Unhandled exception" or something like that (my bad, I should have make a screenshot !).

I restarted CMBO and launch the autosave (still in TCP mode) and met again my opponent ! I had to press the "Go" button (autosave file), but the problem continued and we had to stop there :(

Any idea about that phenomena ?

PS : I never encountered this problem in TCP with CMBB (1.03 CDV version) nor CMAK (1.03 Battlefront version) :confused:

I'm not sure if you've run into the CMBO TCP/IP "Captured Crew Bug" here or not (this problem was fixed for CMBB and thus CMAK also doesn't have it). If a crew is captured the movie will play fine on the generating computer, but the download to the receiving computer will halt at some point during the download (giving you the 'error' sound). Resuming via TCP/IP will not get around this bug. Instead you will need to open the saved game on the 'receiving' computer and play via PBEM for a turn or two (which means you've lost the last set of plotted moves). After the crew is captured, you should be able to resume TCP/IP play (though another captured crew will cause this error again).

I'm not sure if this error ever generated 'unhandled exceptions' or not. I believe it just locked up the receiving computer (XP or 2000 may show an unhandled exception possibly).

If this isn't the captured crew bug, then there could be several possibilities. Closing as many utilities and programs that may be running would be a start to troubleshooting this problem.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

If a crew is captured the movie will play fine on the generating computer, but the download to the receiving computer will halt at some point during the download (giving you the 'error' sound). Resuming via TCP/IP will not get around this bug. Instead you will need to open the saved game on the 'receiving' computer and play via PBEM for a turn or two (which means you've lost the last set of plotted moves).

Thanks Schrullenhaft, I think this is it ! I clearly remember giving an order "Move" to a captured unit (gun crew IIRC)... And then, the situation you described happened...

If I understand correctly, I'll have to switch to PBEM mode for some turns and, after that, I could restart a TCP session... smile.gif